11 replies to this topic

#1 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:03 AM

I know we already have a "Favorite Bands" topic, but it's not very current and it doesn't change often. My musical tastes have as much stability as an unmedicated schizophrenic, so I think this topic is a bit more relevant.

1. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - I can't even begin to describe how much I love this band. Their songs are grandiose, emotional, beautiful and amazing. Their songs do run a bit on the long side, but with my tendency to listen to albums as a whole I don't really notice.
2. Isis - Surprisingly diverse. Between their original Mosquito Control EP and their latest release, In the Absence of Truth, this band has covered the full gamut of chaotic, droning metal to melodic, complex post-rock. The albums are all concept based, and the EP's can be seen as extensions of these themes, adding a certain structure and cohesion to the band's musical evolution.
3. The Fall of Troy - This band has managed to grow on me a lot. My initial reaction was complete and utter revulsion the the earsplitting vocals of their frontman, but they grew on me more upon repeated listenings. The songs all centralize around ridiculously catchy guitar riffs, and usually have lengthy solos. Probably not everybody's cup of tea, but they're fun to listen to as an occasional guilty pleasure.
4. Iron & Wine - The exact opposite of The Fall of Troy. Iron & Wine is mellow, soothing and simple where The Fall of Troy is extreme, loud and bursting at the seams with energy. I've only really listened to the band's newest release, The Shepard's Dog, as I heard that the older releases were a bit bare-bones in terms of instrumentation. I'll probably check them out eventually, but I'm content with the one for now.
5. Old Man Gloom - Isis frontman Aaron Turner's side project. Their first few albums are quite obscure, so I had to start with their most recent release, Christmas. The songs alternate between pretty standard hardcore affairs and bizarre, quiet instrumental tracks, giving the album a nice ebb-and-flow. I don't really know that much else about this band, as they haven't released anything in four years and their news releases are rather tongue-and-cheek, but they've been touring recently so I'm eager to see if they'll release any new albums.

I'll probably post again in a month or so, and we'll see how this list changes.

#2 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:11 AM

This topic is actually a really good idea. I go through phases where I literally only listen to about 5 bands.

So right now...

1. My Chemical Romance - Going back to my roots. After seeing them live, the love I had for them was reignited.
2. Saves the Day - One of the most essential, influential and classic emo bands. I've really only gotten into them recently, but I'm already loving all of it. Their songs are so dark, they are amazing.
3. Say Anything - Love this band. Their new album is a double disc, twenty seven song epic and every song sounds different. I'm discovering new things with every listen.
4. Panic at the Disco - after about 2 1/2 years without any new material, Pretty. Odd. is a fantastic come back. It's so different but I love it. Definitely one of my favorites.
5. All Time Low - I just love this band. I listen to the acoustic version of Stay Awake like 20 times a day.

#3 Ataraxia

Ataraxia

✽ ✾ ✿ ❁ ❃ ❋ ❀

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:59 PM

1. (Tied) The Mars Volta -- After seeing them live twice I almost feel obligated to love them! But they need no obligations for that. I listened to Frances the Mute the other day, actually, and I am reminded of why I love them so.

1. (Tied) Plaid -- They are seriously the perfect IDM band. Their songs do not get boring, and each one has almost a kind of deeper message. Plus, they're fantastic at making scores for films.

3. Nine Inch Nails -- Still, after loving this band for about 9 years, I couldn't love them more. He sort of hit a slump with the release of With Teeth, but with Year Zero and Ghosts good ol' Reznor has truly redeemed himself. I can't wait to hear what he does next.

4. Venetian Snares -- I cannot tell you exactly why I love Funk's stuff, but I do, and... I guess that's what matters.

5. Queens of the Stone Age -- I know what you're thinking. "Wait, why is this not TCoI?" Well, to be honest, I just sort of lost interest. It's still good music, don't get me wrong, I just... eh. But Queens of the Stone Age, I just realized what a fantastic band this is the other day. I love most everything they do, actually.

#4 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

Cap'n Jazz, La Dispute, Animal Collective, Minus The Bear,The Blood Brothers, Converge, Botch, The Fall of Troy, My Bloody Valentine, Saetia...

my current top ten!

Edited by SWSWSW, 11 May 2009 - 11:17 PM.

#5 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

Well, might as well update my favorite artist, since that's what all the cool kids are doing.

1. Reverend Bizarre - Oh. My. God. I could honestly rant about them all day, but I'll just say this is one of the best bands I've heard in my life. I need to get all their stuff, but all I have right now is III: So Long Suckers, which I have listened to obsessively. I usually spin it at least twice every week now, and it just so happens I'm listening to it right now! I NEED MOAR!!!! Holy Crap.gif

2. Opeth - They have kind of slumped a bit, but they're still high up there on my list. Just not as high as they once were when I discovered them over 3 years ago. Though with the anticipation of Watershed, and their US Tour, I can't help but get excited!

3. Paramaecium - An amazing Death Doom Metal act. Within The Ancient Forest is probably one of my all-time favorite albums, ever. And it's sad that they're no more. But hopefully, inExordium will be just as awesome!

4. Pain of Salvation - They're a more recent find for me--that is, I've listened to them for a while, but I haven't actually gotten anything from them up until a few months ago. But they're amazing! Daniel Gildenlow has one of the best voices I have ever heard. Great Prog. Metal, though apparently, it was a mistake letting Sabs hear their only non Prog. Metal outing. THEY DO NOT SOUND LIKE PHIL COLLINS! D:<

5. Arcturus - YAY! That's the thought every time I pop in something by them. Very unique, with a great vocalist (Either Vortex or Garm), and lots of awesomeness oozing out from it.

Edited by Haku, 04 May 2008 - 03:23 PM.

#6 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:27 AM

1. Garbage
2. Iron Maiden
3. Cradle of Filth
4. Helloween
5. Queen

#7 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:33 AM

1. David Arkenstone - This man is a musical genius. Every song of his can give you such peace of mind and take you places that you never imagined. He's composed stuff for the History Channel, the Olympics, and even World of Warcraft (there's so much of his music that would work in video games).

2. Queen - Great vocals by three members, awesome guitar, fantastic drumming, and a good solid bassist. They were fun (their first 7 albums had in large letters "NO SYNTHESIZERS!" and humorous things near the roster like "Freddie Mercury: vocals, vocals, Bechstein Debauchery and more vocals"), almost every song was great, and they had the same lineup from 1970-1991 when Freddie died and they split up. Paul Rodgers doesn't count.

3. Scorpions - Very underrated band. "Rock You Like A Hurricane" and now "No One Like You" are the only songs that people really know by them, but a vast majority of their tunes are very solid (except most of their stuff from the Eye II Eye album). Every album I get, I enjoy them even more. And they're still around and rocking out.

4. Toto - I need more of their stuff. Everything I've heard by them is amazing. People don't know them outside of "Africa" (and maybe "Rosanna" or "Hold The Line"), but they're still around, and their songs are all very intricate and great.

5. Styx - I've heard a lot of their stuff, and I like quite a bit of it. Back when they had DeYoung on vocals and keyboards, they were excellent. Some of their stuff was a bit out there, but they liked experimenting - nothing wrong with that. Their newest vocalist/keyboardist sounds like a goat, but his keyboard skills are fantastic. They haven't had a worthwhile album for some time now, though.

#8 Kelsey

Kelsey

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • PSN:Gokiburi-sama

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

I only have two that count as actual bands on my list... So the two that are bands get my 1 and 2 slots by default.

1. 3 Doors Down - I don't have enough of their stuff... I kick myself every time I realize I wasted 18 bucks on that worthless Nickelback CD when I could've bought more 3 Doors Down. My favorite song? Duck and Run. If life had a soundtrack, I'd use that as my theme song.
2. Daughtry - Chris Daughtry is the only person I've ever liked off of American Idol (and in my opinion, he got screwed over for Carrie Underwood. Country is my least favorite genre of music). I keep missing his live performances here due to bad advertising; I keep finding out about them the day they happen. Not fun. My favorite song of his is There and Back Again.
3. Koji Kondo - I WORSHIP THIS MAN. 65 percent of the stuff on my iPod was originally by Koji Kondo...
4. Junichi Nakatsuru - What I consider the best Soul Calibur music was created by this guy.
5. None yet.

#9 Icarus

Icarus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:22 PM

wow...this list changes so much...

Currently:
1. Incubus - The old funk/metal stuff before and including s.c.i.e.n.c.e. is fantastic, if you don't have it, do everything in your power to go and get it
2. Nine Inch Nails - Because he is such a musical genious, his best stuff is from the "Fragile" era and his "year zero - current" stuff
3. E Nomine - Angry. German. Catholic. Techno. with a full choir singing in latin about dark magic and demons? hellz yes!
4. TOOL - Because it should be on everyone's list.
5. The Crystal Method - Thumping, bass-heavy dance music with cool lyrics and awesome guitar riffs - you just won life

Edited by Icarus, 14 April 2008 - 10:24 PM.

#10 Pope Yvarg

Pope Yvarg

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

in no particular order:

1) Yves Carbonne - I actually don't care for his style a whole lot, but I just bought his latest album and so I've been listening to it a lot. Besides, how could you not love anyone who actually plays a twelve string fretless bass?

2) Lemon Jelly - I really have no idea why I'm attracted to this group, but their music is really relaxing.

3) Melechesh - Perfect stuff to listen to in the car, and the vocals are probably the most fitting for any metal group I've ever heard; not too disgusting obnoxious, but still aggressive enough to blend well with the music; the middle eastern flavour really compliments the music well too.

4) Early 70's Pink Floyd stuff - The songs are so mellow and soothing

5) Yes - I seriously cannot get over Chris Squire's bass sound, it makes me lust for a Rickenbacker so badly . . .

#11 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

New stuff.

1. The Blood Brothers - I discovered this band several months ago, but I didn't pay nearly as much attention as I should have... Best described as avant-gardecore, maybe. Very interesting vocals that have grown on me a lot. Shame they broke up. Young Machetes=best

2. Neon Blonde - Side project of some of the members of The Blood Brothers. Only released one album, and that might be all we get, but it's great. Kind of like The Blood Brothers meets !!! meets Death From Above 1979. Gets stuck in my head all the time.

3.Nick Drake - One of the greatest lyricists I've ever heard, one of the best vocalists I've ever heard. Don't know how to describe it except exactly what I want to hear all the time. A

4. The Fall of Troy - Kind of "rediscovered" this band today... I had heard all their stuff a lot but it had been a while since I listened to them. Their new album, Phantom on the Horizon, is without a doubt my favorite piece by them so far, which is a relief considering what a letdown Manipulator was. It's everything I love about TFoT made coherent and without some of the terrible recording quality that some of their older stuff had

5. Slint - One of the first "post-rock" bands to come about... Slint only released one full-length, Spiderland, way back in '91. The music has some great atmosphere built around it, cemented by the weird, spoken-word style vocals. And Nosferatu Man just has such a great bassline... Highly recommended.

#12 Spritek

Spritek

someone...somewhere...is pushing buttons

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Steam:Spritaek

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

1. Radiohead
2. Coldplay - featuring Jay-Z in their EP docks points from them, but they're still awesome
3. Muse
4. Moby
5. Edison Glass

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users