• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Everything I find on Google, etc. on recording footage off your TV is sketchy and very vague... So since I know LM has done some recording of his own, and since others might have as well I was wondering if some of you could help me. (this is all for the future, because I don't have everything set-up properly yet)

I have seen this floating around, but even that page doesn't answer all my questions. Will it capture ONLY in HD? What about a Wii or SNES game? Does it absolutely NEED component cables? Wii component cables are like $35 and I'm hesitant to buy those only to find out the footage looks like crap. A plus of that device is it streams directly to Twitch. But if I want to buy the regular one (since the other one might not communicate well with say a SNES) it doesn't? The page isn't very descriptive. And then there's this Dazzle stuff but I have heard some very differing stories about AV splitters and all this nonsense I know nothing about about it, so...

Do any of you have any good tips?

#2 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 3DS:4815-1623-4296
  • PSN:zezhyrule
  • Steam:zezhyrule

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

I've heard this is really good - http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B00840353W

And of course this one would be my second choice - http://www.amazon.co...auppauge hd pvr

You can always get a composite to component adapter/converter if the device only accepts component input. I have component cables on my Wii though, and I have to say, it looks muuuch better with the improved resolution on my 42" Sony Bravia. Some people say it's hardly noticeable, I smack those people in the face and then buy them some glasses.

#3 Ego

Ego

Super-Psychic

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • 3DS:3652-1929-9711
  • Steam:hornheado
  • XBox Live:hornheado

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

I haven't the foggiest, I'm still figuring out what exactly I'm doing recording my computer screen let alone the television.

Of more importance to me is: what game(s) are you thinking of recording, and do you plan to share them with the rest of us? :3

#4 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

I use this. The only consoles I can't record with it are the DS and 3DS (since they can't hook up to a TV). I also use a couple of splitters, so that I can play on the TV and record on the computer at the same time (since it kinda lags on the computer).

I have been using Audacity to record my voice, but the past couple of times, it's crapped out on me as I stop recording. Maybe I need a new version or something - not sure. I'll have to look into it.

Admittedly, I'll have to look into some of those HD ones, because the 360 and PS3 just don't look the same using A/V cables (duh).

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 02 January 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#5 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

I've heard this is really good - http://www.amazon.co...0/dp/B00840353W

And of course this one would be my second choice - http://www.amazon.co...auppauge+hd+pvr

You can always get a composite to component adapter/converter if the device only accepts component input. I have component cables on my Wii though, and I have to say, it looks muuuch better with the improved resolution on my 42" Sony Bravia. Some people say it's hardly noticeable, I smack those people in the face and then buy them some glasses.

Thanks a lot for the tips and links! I didn't even know there existed such a thing as a composite to component converter to be honest...

I use this. The only consoles I can't record with it are the DS and 3DS (since they can't hook up to a TV). I also use a couple of splitters, so that I can play on the TV and record on the computer at the same time (since it kinda lags on the computer).

I have been using Audacity to record my voice, but the past couple of times, it's crapped out on me as I stop recording. Maybe I need a new version or something - not sure. I'll have to look into it.

Admittedly, I'll have to look into some of those HD ones, because the 360 and PS3 just don't look the same using A/V cables (duh).

I suppose that only does composite then? Though at $14.99 that seems a lot more appealing to me since I'm only really thinking of doing this with older games anyway. And it's cheap enough that I wouldn't mind getting another, "better" one later. (maybe by then they'll have stopped pricing them at an IMHO ridiculous $150-$200~)

For 3DS (and DS is on the page too) footage capture I've seen this. But you need to physically modify your 3DS for it and I don't know if you want to do that.

I haven't the foggiest, I'm still figuring out what exactly I'm doing recording my computer screen let alone the television.

Of more importance to me is: what game(s) are you thinking of recording, and do you plan to share them with the rest of us? :3

I recorded these two (someone might still remember those videos) videos off my screen a long time ago using Camtasia Studio but I have no idea if it's still any good. Videos are a bit choppy but that's because the compy I ran it on was ancient.
For streaming I've seen AmaRecTV.

Whenever I decide to start I'll probably do some silly stuff (I know of a way of getting to the top of the Shine Sprite statue thing in Sunshine with 1 Shine Sprite and I've never seen anyone else do it) or something like that. And of course I'll share. Posted Image Maybe I'll do a TTYD run with 5HP and 5FP. XD

#6 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 02 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

It does Composite or A/V. At least, mine does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users