Photo

Dark Souls/Demon's Souls Thread

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:58 PM

Since I see a few KGers playing Dark Souls, I thought I would start a thread about it. Anyway, I beat it like three weeks ago and I was really impressed with the game. It's been a while since an RPG has enticed me to play it all the way through, but when I started playing this game, I played it religiously. I actually completed it in two weeks with 55 hours clocked in on my save file.

The game is known for its tough-as-nails difficulty. Is it really that difficult? Oh yeah. You will be impaled, devoured by giant cats, knocked off cliffs, engulfed in flames, poisoned to death, cursed to death, and the list goes on and on. However, is it impossible? Hell no! In fact, the last three sections of the game I found piss easy (my soul level was 77 when I beat the game). Once you fully master the controls, the game becomes one of the most fun games of last year. It's also helpful if you know a little bit about DnD, since the game heavily borrows stats, leveling, weapon and item bonuses, and element bonuses from the game. However, the game seems fair for the most part. Bonfires (checkpoints and places to refill healing flasks) are liberally scattered throughout the map with most being fairly close to boss locations. You open up short cuts throughout the game. After a certain point, you can warp between certain bonfires. You learn through death, and you also earn valuable items through death as well. However, the game can be unnecessarily cruel at points. Curse is one of the most evil status elements ever. Clipping is extremely problematic. Sometimes, enemies can hit and kill you through a wall. A few places even require you to die to progress, meaning all the souls you earned are permanently gone
Spoiler

However, the game finds ways to keep you playing through the pain. If you're playing online, you can summon phantoms to your game (if you are human) to defeat a troublesome boss. People can leave hints on blood stains on how to progress, or items to use. You can see the last seconds of another player by touching their bloodstain, so you don't make the same mistake. It's a really awesome online system.

I'm currently playing through Demon's Souls, the spiritual prequel to Dark Souls. And honestly, I find this game a lot harder than Dark Souls. World Tendencies are a pain in the ass. The death system is also more cruel (if you die, you have to start at the beginning of a level instead of a bonfire). The equip burden system is less refined than Dark Souls (You are either fast, slow, or so heavy, you can't roll or run). However, the game is still murderous fun. I'm really enjoying it.

Anyway, I have Dark Souls on the 360 and Demon's Souls on PS3. Let me know if you're interested in some online play.

Anyway, thoughts?

Edited by Haku, 06 February 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#2 FISSURE

FISSURE

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • PSN:fissure100
  • XBox Live:fissure100

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:55 PM

Ah Demons Souls, fun game, but it's a lot easier if you use a Royal to get through :P, that's how i beat it.

I rented Dark Souls and got to Anor Londo, but kept getting beat by the boss lol.

#3 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 3DS:4815-1623-4296
  • PSN:zezhyrule
  • Steam:zezhyrule

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

I'm only just now in Blighttown, it's been really fun so far though. I haven't found it especially hard except for the first few hours really. I mean... it could be that I, like most noobs, got the Drake Sword, and I still haven't abandoned it D:

I like the game because it's a lot like Monster Hunter in some ways, which is one of my favorite video game series ever.

And oh yeah. I hate curse. Had some really bad experiences in the Depths u__u

Recently acquired the Elite Knight Armor, and I'm liking it right now. Have one ring that lets me equip more weight and one that increases my poise, both of which have been helpful. Kinda wondering when I should let my Drake Sword go, I heard something about a Furysword made from the giant spider-lady but I think I'll have to find a weapon that upgradeable to it.

Edit: Oh yeah I was going to say, I got the game in like november, and I played it a bit but not too much. I only recently got back into it a couple weeks ago, and I noticed a few things that seemed different (like the 'bonfire lit' messages and stuff). After a couple days of wondering if it was all in my head, I found out about the awesome update XD

Edited by zezhyrule, 06 February 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#4 Akuma

Akuma

Network Warrior

• Members
  • 390 posts
  • 3DS:5413-0073-0975
  • Steam:xxshenakumaxx
  • XBox Live:xXShenAkumaXx

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

I play this almost every day and just cant get enough of it. I havent beaten it yet (the farthwst I am is at seath the scaleless..)but have around 5 differnt characters, spanning from a Inuyasha esque character, a tank heavy hitter, all around pyro, and a faith claymore wielder. You can seriously get lost in this intense world. This hasn't happed in a looong time.

Haku, I have Dark Souls on the 360, I am totally down for some online shin digs.

I like the comparison Zez, I feel the same way about it, and for the love of Monster Hunter. One of the best games EVER created :) Oh and yes once you kill Quleeag and obtain her soul, you can forge it with.. I cant remember what type of sword but it has to be a +10. Oh and forged by the giant smith in Anor Lando.

What is your guys's favorite covenant?

#5 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

I'm only just now in Blighttown, it's been really fun so far though. I haven't found it especially hard except for the first few hours really. I mean... it could be that I, like most noobs, got the Drake Sword, and I still haven't abandoned it D:

I like the game because it's a lot like Monster Hunter in some ways, which is one of my favorite video game series ever.

And oh yeah. I hate curse. Had some really bad experiences in the Depths u__u

Recently acquired the Elite Knight Armor, and I'm liking it right now. Have one ring that lets me equip more weight and one that increases my poise, both of which have been helpful. Kinda wondering when I should let my Drake Sword go, I heard something about a Furysword made from the giant spider-lady but I think I'll have to find a weapon that upgradeable to it.

Edit: Oh yeah I was going to say, I got the game in like november, and I played it a bit but not too much. I only recently got back into it a couple weeks ago, and I noticed a few things that seemed different (like the 'bonfire lit' messages and stuff). After a couple days of wondering if it was all in my head, I found out about the awesome update XD

Funny. I love the Souls games but hate Monster Hunter, even though the Souls games are a refined Monster Hunter. What can I say? I never liked being timed in a game. One of the reasons why I have a love/hate relationship with Majora's Mask.

The Drake Sword is a beast until halfway through the game. Once you start getting powerful elemental weapons (Sen's Fortress has an awesome Lightning Spear), the Drake Sword becomes useless. And yes, the Quelaag Furysword is pretty nice. I'd highly recommend that and the Lightning Spear for the boss of Anor Londo. The Elite Armor is pretty nice until Sen's Fortress. You get some pretty sweet loot in there.

And I did like the updates. I rented it from Redbox a week after it came out, and it had a lot of problems.The game runs smoother, minus Blighttown. I hate Blighttown. Nasty poison-infested shitpit. <_<

I play this almost every day and just cant get enough of it. I havent beaten it yet (the farthwst I am is at seath the scaleless..)but have around 5 differnt characters, spanning from a Inuyasha esque character, a tank heavy hitter, all around pyro, and a faith claymore wielder. You can seriously get lost in this intense world. This hasn't happed in a looong time.

Haku, I have Dark Souls on the 360, I am totally down for some online shin digs.

I like the comparison Zez, I feel the same way about it, and for the love of Monster Hunter. One of the best games EVER created :) Oh and yes once you kill Quleeag and obtain her soul, you can forge it with.. I cant remember what type of sword but it has to be a +10. Oh and forged by the giant smith in Anor Lando.

What is your guys's favorite covenant?

The Chaos Covenant. Egg head. XD

Question for Akuma.
Spoiler
I haven't really played NG+ much, so I'm trying to see where we could summon at.

A little description of my build. His name is Seyton, level 77 Pyromancer. Has a focus on 1 handed sword, pyromancy, and bows and arrows. He wears Havel Armor, medium/heavy roll (the roll that doesn't give you the heavy roll). I'll take a picture next time I play.

Edited by Haku, 07 February 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#6 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

Funny. I love the Souls games but hate Monster Hunter, even though the Souls games are a refined Monster Hunter. What can I say? I never liked being timed in a game. One of the reasons why I have a love/hate relationship with Majora's Mask.

The Drake Sword is a beast until halfway through the game. Once you start getting powerful elemental weapons (Sen's Fortress has an awesome Lightning Spear), the Drake Sword becomes useless. And yes, the Quelaag Furysword is pretty nice. I'd highly recommend that and the Lightning Spear for the boss of Anor Londo. The Elite Armor is pretty nice until Sen's Fortress. You get some pretty sweet loot in there.

And I did like the updates. I rented it from Redbox a week after it came out, and it had a lot of problems.The game runs smoother, minus Blighttown. I hate Blighttown. Nasty poison-infested shitpit. <_<

haha, is 50min not enough for you? I think I've only ran out of time once or twice in my 100s of hours spent hunting monsters, and only near the beginning D:

And thanks for the weapon info, I'll keep that in mind~

Yeah the framerate in Blighttown is... something. Something annoying and... yeah. It's nice to know most of the game runs smoother now though!

Edited by zezhyrule, 07 February 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#7 Akuma

Akuma

Network Warrior

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:47 PM

The Chaos Covenant. Egg head. XD

Question for Akuma.

Spoiler
I haven't really played NG+ much, so I'm trying to see where we could summon at.

A little description of my build. His name is Seyton, level 77 Pyromancer. Has a focus on 1 handed sword, pyromancy, and bows and arrows. He wears Havel Armor, medium/heavy roll (the roll that doesn't give you the heavy roll). I'll take a picture next time I play.

No I haven't tackled anyone else yet. Figured I would go for him first haha. I havent, and probably wont, go to new game plus at all. My main guy, Shoryia, wears full gold armor (forgot the name), wields a enchated claymore, and is a heavy pyro user and sorcery user.

I will picturize my guys as well!

Oh and my favorite covenant so far is the Darkmoon. I really want to make a Darkwraith character one of these days...

#8 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:52 AM

Wow you have 5 characters o__o

I really need to play this game more D:

#9 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

Just got the Crimson Set and the Gold-Hemmed Black set today. Are either of them worth wearing or should I stick with my upgraded Elite Knight set for now? D:

I'll be kinda sad if it's not worth it, I fell for the schmuck bait and the Ceaseless Discharge thing killed me in one hit ;__; Well I didn't actually lose much of anything... But still D:

#10 Haku

Haku

• Members
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:55 PM

Just got the Crimson Set and the Gold-Hemmed Black set today. Are either of them worth wearing or should I stick with my upgraded Elite Knight set for now? D:

I'll be kinda sad if it's not worth it, I fell for the schmuck bait and the Ceaseless Discharge thing killed me in one hit ;__; Well I didn't actually lose much of anything... But still D:

I think (if I remember correctly) both have awesome elemental defenses. I remember using the Gold Hemmed set a lot for the Demon Ruins and
Spoiler
. Just a Dark Souls tip. No armor is the "best" armor in the game. It depends on the situation, so use whatever has the most defense for the situation you're in. And Ceaseless Discharge is easy. If you have the Havel Armor, equip that (or some other heavy armor with fire resistance, assuming you can at least move around in it) and from the fog, run to the canyon while avoiding his attacks. Once you're in the canyon, stand in view so he'll attack, and then duck around the back wall of the canyon. He'll be caught in the ground for a few seconds. Then, attack with two handed attacks. I found the Lightning Spear to work wonders at this area (found in Sen's Fortress).

Edited by Haku, 11 February 2012 - 03:15 PM.

#11 Akuma

Akuma

Network Warrior

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:57 PM

Both are excellent. Like Haku said, it just depends on the situation. Gold Hemmed looks bad ass, makes me feel like a Nazgul :)

Yea.. 5 characters, soon to be 6 today. Going to see how low i can keep my guys level and try to get into the DarkWraiths. I'm hoping at least level 30-45. But I also need to get the Paladin set to finish my set with my one character. So much you can do in this game its unbelieveable.

Haku, I'm going to add you on XBL if ya dont mind :)

#12 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:25 PM

I got to the bonfire in Sen's Fortress today :D I'm extremely happy because those lizard/snake men were annoying and I died like 4 times u_u And giants throwing fire bomb things D:

the traps and rock rolling around were never that hard to avoid however. Also I heard rumors of a chest in this place that attacks you, so I attacked every chest in the place. Glad I did, and I got my Lightning Spear :3

Thanks for all the advice!

Edited by zezhyrule, 12 February 2012 - 04:27 PM.

#13 Akuma

Akuma

Network Warrior

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Man that Mimic chest is quite creepy. Sens was the one place that gave me the most trouble. Glad your getting through it alright :)

Edited by Akuma, 12 February 2012 - 09:07 PM.

#14 FISSURE

FISSURE

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • PSN:fissure100
  • XBox Live:fissure100

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

I got to the bonfire in Sen's Fortress today :D I'm extremely happy because those lizard/snake men were annoying and I died like 4 times u_u And giants throwing fire bomb things D:

the traps and rock rolling around were never that hard to avoid however. Also I heard rumors of a chest in this place that attacks you, so I attacked every chest in the place. Glad I did, and I got my Lightning Spear :3

Thanks for all the advice!

Yeah the Lightning Spear is great. Apparently the mimic can fall down the hole or something preventing you from getting the item

#15 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

Anor Londo is tough, I got the Black Iron and Havel's sets, using a mixture of both currently. All the guys scattered around this place that look like black knights are annoying. Especially the ones that fire arrows D: Can't wait to get to a blacksmith, my equips are lacking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users