Any tales fans here?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Forte

Forte

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:51 AM

I've been playing them since a few years ago, and recently I developed another fetish which could only be fed by emulation.

Strange intro aside, you will now tell me why Symphonia is your favorite.

#2 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 26 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

It's possible that we have another thread about this, but whatever.

I've played Symphonia and Abyss, along with a bit of Phantasia.

Abyss
My big beef with this game was that every character had some secret that they needed to hide from everybody, or something they didn't know that changed their life completely. And every time someone said "What's wrong?" or "What did you just say?" every character would say something like "Hm? Oh, nothing." I mean, you're traveling with these people, eating food made by them, and sleeping in the same vicinity. You're trusting these people with your very LIFE, and you can't tell them something? It's so stupid. Another problem I had was that you can get their best weapons about halfway through the game at the Colosseum. After that, unless you get the Nebilim weapons and go on a battling spree, you're good to go for the rest of the game. It also doesn't really explain the ending, which bothered me. The gameplay was great, though - very smooth. The plot was basically good, and the secrets were plentiful.

Symphonia
I like it better than Abyss in every way, from what I can remember. It's been a while. I liked the plot, the characters variations, how you could choose the person that falls in love with Lloyd, and the length. Everything was great, and it remains one of my favorite games to date.

Phantasia
I haven't played this enough to really get a feel for it. Maybe some time, like Winter Break.

#3 Forte

Forte

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 04:37 PM

I thought Abyss was only better than Symphonia in terms of the battle system. Free running is cheap and an awesome addition to the series. I also prefer their overlimit/Mystic Arte system.

Symphonia wins elsewhere. Tongue.gif

I've gotten quite far in Phantasia, I'm very close to finishing the game. Cless is as 2D as any lead character can get. The battle system was awkward and cheaper in some ways, but I do love the characters other than Cless.

#4 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:26 PM

Abyss is probably my favorite. Jade is far too awesome.

#5 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

I must agree that Jade is the most awesome Tales character I've seen.

#6 FISSURE

FISSURE

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • PSN:fissure100
  • XBox Live:fissure100

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

I love the Tales series.

Played Symphonia, Abyss, Eternia, Phantasia GBA, a little of Legendia. Definitely gonna get Symphonia 2 and Vesperia.

Heaven's Light Shine
Gates of Hell Open Your Passage
Strike, Lightning of the Heavens
Indignation!

#7 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 05:24 PM

I'm now about 3/4 done with Tales of Phantasia. It's pretty darn sweet. It's weird to have a Tales game without interrupting dialog while you walk around in the overworld, but then, I've only played Abyss and Symphonia besides it. It doesn't match up to either of the others in terms of character development, but I like the plot and the characters themselves better than those in Abyss (except Jade, but nothing really tops him). Still doesn't top Symphonia for the most part, though the summoning in Phantasia's a lot better than in Symphonia. I hate having to wait for an Overlimit to summon creatures with Sheena, while Claus can equip a Fairy Ring and a Mystic Symbol and those summons just come flying out. So much cooler.

#8 Ego

Ego

Super-Psychic

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • 3DS:3652-1929-9711
  • Steam:hornheado
  • XBox Live:hornheado

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:30 AM

I've watched my brother go the whole way through Symphonia, Symphonia 2, and Phantasia. I've tried a little bit of each, but I'm not so good with that stuff.

Symphonia:
Great game, good story, good characters, not necessarily BAD voice acting(a rare thing in games). Haven't watched it in a while, most of the details are fuzzy to me.

Symphonia 2:
I was really enthralled by the story. Quite good. I don't know ANYTHING about how the gameplay is, though.

Phantasia:
My favorite. While I keep getting stuck at the two golems in the cave, I've gotten much farther myself in this one than any other. The level that sticks out in my memory is the area you get Summoner(forgot his name) and meet Sylph. I think it might be the best for me because I am 100% a handheld gamer, not so much a console gamer.

Damn, now I want to go play Phantasia.

#9 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:51 PM

After a lot of thought (and playing ToS again), I realized why I enjoy Tales of Symphonia so much more than Tales of the Abyss. Three reasons (the first one I've already gone over in a previous post in this thread):

1. The conversations in ToS don't always end in "...Oh, it's nothing. Never mind.", which happens constantly in TotA and ends up biting them in the butt every time. I understand the need to hide something, but none of them trust anybody else on their team. In ToS, hiding your past/lineage happens occasionally, but it's not nearly as often or noticeable (unless you've played TotA, in which case you notice it just because it bothered you so much in that game).

2. ToS doesn't have Luke. Luke is my least favorite main character in any video game (that I've played so far). If he's not being a complete jerk, thinking that he's better than everyone, then he's complaining and crying for himself because he did something wrong. He's either asking for praise or comfort.

3. Every character in ToS is humorous in some way. I'm not even halfway through, and each character has said something that's made me laugh. TotA didn't have that. It had Jade. Jade is the coolest character in a Tales game, being able to cast insane amounts of magic as well as make fun of every other character with one sentence. However, it was just him. The rest of them were either ditzy (Natalia), annoying (Anise), kinda cool but not really interesting (Tear and Guy), or Luke. In ToS, everybody has something that, even if they're annoying most of the time, redeems them (that's mostly Zelos). There are no characters in ToS that I don't mind playing as to master their Techs/Artes (the evidence being that I already have, even with Regal, who just joined me). TotA is a different story, sadly.

Don't get me wrong - TotA was a great game. Jade isn't the only reason to play it (though it's definitely, in my opinion, the brightest part of the game), especially with, like Forte said, the free movement and Mystic Artes being easily executed. But ToS is just so much better in every other way, at least in my opinion.

Now that I've played through Tales of Phantasia, I'll have to say that it was pretty cool. Being the first in the series, it obviously wasn't quite as interesting as the other two, but it was a lot of fun to play (like I said in my previous post).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users