• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:02 PM

So we kind of did one of these a LONG time ago, and I thought I'd be fun to see who else reads any serialized or already published series. If enough people read something that is currently being serialized I could probably post some spoilers ahead of release when I'm here too.

If you want to share your MyAnimeList (which, contrary to the name also gives you the option to catalogue your read manga) I can edit it into this first post. Hopefully there are some of you left! (I mourn the loss of Triforce+)

-----------

Weeklies

Bleach
So Ichigo is going "OH?!" because he is being followed and controller, but when Mayuri takes samples and uses humans as biological bombs nobody cares about it? :Ponder: Whatever. If this means this arc is going to end soon I cannot wait.

Naruto
God I don't know why I still read this, but hey! Jinchuuriki party! WOO!

Fairy Tail
People are stronger than us let's get stronger! Sigh.

Others

Negima
Seems like it's ending soon...

Still wanted to post this picture from a couple of weeks ago which was really cool.
Posted Image
Made me all nostalgic and stuff. Really show off how his art has improved in some spots and gone down the drain with the advent of moeblob. Still awesome though.

Might post more if I have something to say about them.

#2 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Bleach
I agree, it looks like the end is in sight for this Fullbringer arc. I want them to get back to Soul Society, the story is strongest whenever they're there. And the "bomb" Juugo dropped... I don't know, it seems like a red herring.
Spoiler

Naruto
It must be a force of habit thing, I do it because it's part of the Big 3. Where's Sasuke? Calling Deus ex Machina when Naruto can't handle the tailed beast party.

One Piece
IT'S OVER. DONE. Fishman Island arc, thank you for showing us how beast mode the Straw Hats have become. Let's get to the New World now, shall we?

#3 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

The only one I'm actually actively following is Negima. I own the first 31 volumes (thanks in part to Borders going out of business), as that's all that's out in the US so far (well, 32 just got released, but I'm not at home so that doesn't really help me). I did read a bit farther ahead online, but it kind of takes away from the fun of reading the actual book. I may have to start that up again, though.
And yeah, the art is certainly different. I kinda like the old style better, though.

I guess I'm also following Yotsuba&!, but that comes out so infrequently I tend to forget about it.

I should really pick something new up as well - or at least read it online.

I tend to watch a lot more anime than read manga, I guess.

Edited by Phaeon, 23 November 2011 - 04:04 PM.

#4 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:17 PM

Bleach
I agree, it looks like the end is in sight for this Fullbringer arc. I want them to get back to Soul Society, the story is strongest whenever they're there. And the "bomb" Juugo dropped... I don't know, it seems like a red herring.

Spoiler

Naruto
It must be a force of habit thing, I do it because it's part of the Big 3. Where's Sasuke? Calling Deus ex Machina when Naruto can't handle the tailed beast party.

Yeah, the Bleach stuff is kind of odd. It makes me question why Juugo bothers holding onto his badge in the first place. If it's a soul sucking monitoring device like he says, why does he still have his?

Also found these, which are amazing: XD

http://imageftw.com/...20111122/01.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/02-03.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/04-05.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/06-07.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/08-09.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/10-11.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/12-13.png
http://imageftw.com/...11122/14-15.png

And yeah, I guess you're right about Naruto. Back when we were talking about Nagato in a wheelchair it was exciting...Now it's more of a question who is going to pop out of his/her grave anytime soon.

To provide some food for thought: Who do you think Tobi is? He has to have been alive since before Minato became the Fourth Hokage so it can't be Kakashi's friend and that Uchiha kid with the special eyes is out of the question too since Danzo took his eyes. the only feasible option I see right now is Madara's brother. Forgot his name though.

The only one I'm actually actively following is Negima. I own the first 31 volumes (thanks in part to Borders going out of business), as that's all that's out in the US so far (well, 32 just got released, but I'm not at home so that doesn't really help me). I did read a bit farther ahead online, but it kind of takes away from the fun of reading the actual book. I may have to start that up again, though.
And yeah, the art is certainly different. I kinda like the old style better, though.

I guess I'm also following Yotsuba&!, but that comes out so infrequently I tend to forget about it.

I should really pick something new up as well - or at least read it online.

I tend to watch a lot more anime than read manga, I guess.

I had that with Love Hina...I thought reading from the books felt better...but I simply cannot stand the wait with Negima. (since you are in Europe now, you might understand how crappy it is to buy manga here :Ponder:) I also like the old style way more btw. The new style just seems way less realistic and more focused on the curves of the girls rather than their personality traits.

If you want something new I recommend The World God Only Knows. It's typical harem crap but the main character is a hardcore dating sim nerd which I find hilarious at times. Don't know if you've read Death Note (I'm a big fan), but if you have and even if you haven't, I truly recommend Onani Master Kurosawa. I'll say up front it's NSFW and kind of dirty but I found it disgusting, hilarious and heartwarming at the same time, if that's even possible. XD Bakuman is also great (though I haven't read it all) and Mx0 which is also kind of like Negima. I also keep telling myself I'm gonna read Yotsuba&! one day, but it still hasn't happened. :Sigh:

We could make this the anime/manga topic if you want. Personally I don't watch a lot of anime any more, but I'm sure some other people do.

Edited by Albert Chamomile, 23 November 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#5 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:04 PM

I'm watching the Bakuman anime right now (Season 2 is about halfway through, I think).
I'd heard of The World God Only Knows, since they made an anime of it recently, but I never managed to pick it up. I'll check it out, though, since you recommend it.
I watched Death note when it came out as an anime. Interesting, but not interesting enough that I'd read the manga as well.
I haven't heard of the other two, but I'll take a look.

Yotsuba&! is pretty short (10 volumes, maybe? I forget) and it's definitely worth reading, especially if you liked Azumanga Daioh (they're by the same author).

If anyone else watches a lot of anime, I wouldn't mind discussing it. I usually watch at least the first few episodes of most new shows each season. This season I'm watching a lot of them, but Bakuman, Persona 4: the Animation, Guilty Crown, and Working'!! are probably my favorites at the moment.

#6 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

Yeah...I really do need to get on that Yotsuba&!... We'll see.

Great news! Liar Game, a psychological game show manga, is returning after nearly 2 years. I really enjoyed it, especially the last 'musical chairs' arc, so hopefully it picks up from there.

And for those that care; Medaka Box is getting a spin-off centering on on of the side characters. The best I can describe it is if TJ made a manga, that'd be it. That side character is the best character in the entire thing though, so that's nice.

#7 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • PSN:PM me
  • Steam:PM me
  • XBox Live:PM me

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:43 PM

I'm... so lazy... I just watch the anime variants. ;-; The last manga I even read was Biomega. I wouldn't even know where to begin to start.

#8 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:42 PM

EVIL UKITAKE ARC I'M STOKED

CAN'T BE AS DRAWN OUT AS THIS ONE :Holy Crap:

And yeah, I guess you're right about Naruto. Back when we were talking about Nagato in a wheelchair it was exciting...Now it's more of a question who is going to pop out of his/her grave anytime soon.

To provide some food for thought: Who do you think Tobi is? He has to have been alive since before Minato became the Fourth Hokage so it can't be Kakashi's friend and that Uchiha kid with the special eyes is out of the question too since Danzo took his eyes. the only feasible option I see right now is Madara's brother. Forgot his name though.

At first, I was finding it hard to be a person to care about. Someone to drop in and Naruto, Kakashi, etc. would be totally shocked, stuff like that. However, now that the Third/Fourth/United Ninja War is happening and a lot more countries are trying to say "our ninja are worth backstory!" then having someone that ties to them will be easier.

However, I still wouldn't care. There are just no ninja left to say "HAHA! It is I, masquerading as Tobi!" Current Tobi is a former Mizukage, that's for sure. Kisame recognized him back in the Village Hidden in the Rain. It's possible Madara's brother learned Orochimaru's soul-transfer jutsu too.

#9 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

Didn't Kisame only recognize him because he puppeteered the three tails? I agree though that there aren't any meaningful characters left that would inspire surprise. Ones that are considered alive anyways.

I'm... so lazy... I just watch the anime variants. ;-; The last manga I even read was Biomega. I wouldn't even know where to begin to start.

I personally think there are some anime that are horrendous compared to their manga variants...Maybe it's just because I'm not a fan of slice of life and that's the majority of anime these days.

If I were you, I'd start with a genre that really catches you in anime. If you watch a lot of shounen, I guess you could try one of the big three (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece) or Fairy Tail, but there are plenty other ones if you search on some manga sites. You might be better off starting with a small series though, because i.e. Naruto is nearing 600 chapters now and that's quite a time sink just to catch up.

Looking at Biomega, I think I might have three suggestions that kind of fit that style. Gantz is one, with people fighting giant aliens and crap. It's really disgusting at times though and contains large amounts of guro. I remember seeing somewhere it has some bestiality too. I am a Hero is another, a zombie apocalypse manga with also quite disturbing images, but hey. Last one is Deadman Wonderland, which is vaguely similar to Biomega, but I think you might like it.

Hope you aren't turned off by gore though, because all three are full of it.

#10 oddish

oddish

Keeper of the Verdant Badge

• Bad Science
  • 111 posts
  • Steam:xoddish

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:20 AM

My MAL is linked in my signature. I have been reading more manga than watching anime lately. Have gotten kind of fed up with it since there seems to be less and less that's worthwhile every season, though there are some older series I want to watch once I have time.

But anyway, there's lots of manga series I'm following, but most only have new chapters released very occasionally.... The ones I'm particularly into right now would be...

7 Seeds -- post-apocalyptic horror shoujo/josei series, has some really awesome twists and is genuinely creepy at times
Berserk -- ahhh I am thinking of putting this on hold until it's finally finished, when it was good it was soooo good
Chi's Sweet Home -- cute cat doing cute things
Otoyomegatari -- historical fiction manga by the author of Emma, both are amazing, Emma is more romance, Otoyomegatari is too, but also clan politics and some adventure
Oyasumi Punpun -- bizarre, surreal and just incredible; this captures the feelings from growing from child to teenager to adult so well
Vinland Saga -- more historical manga, only this times with Vikings and lots more blood and fighting
Yotsuba&! -- thirding (or however many) this, funniest comic I've ever read, and one of my all-time favorites

That's probably the best of what I'm currently reading. Also buying and loving Kodansha's release of Sailor V and rerelease of Sailor Moon and so I've been rereading that series as it comes out.

#11 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:06 AM

I've read Oyasumi Punpun...it is indeed bizarre. XD I'll check out some of those others, thanks!

----------

Weeklies

Naruto 565 & 566
God this is sooooooooo lame. Since when did the octopus-bull thing even care about the well-being of the world? Weren't these beasts supposed to be malevolent against humans? Ugh.

Bleach 475 & 476
At least Ichigo isn't as stupid as I thought he would be. Too bad then the rest of the manga is!

Fairy Tail 262 & 263
Training Arc! Wait no, Adventure Arc! Wait no, Party Arc! Wait no, Training Arc! Wait no, SUPERCHEAPINSTANTPOWERUP Arc!

Others

Negima 346
If he's going to make 100 more of these "hey guys this manga has been going on for like 8 years bet you have loads of nostalgia for old shit!" chapters, I'd rather have he just quit it right now. Just...tell me why Nagi...sigh...

The World God Only Knows 170
I really like that the conquer going wrong actually has loads of consequences. Keima feeling guilt! Ha! Giant spirit sucker is probably some hell-portal or whatever.

#12 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:09 AM

I just spent the last day and a half reading Mx0. It was a good story, but then... sudden and disappointing ending. Sigh. Cursed cancellation...

#13 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

100% agreed! I thought it had a lot more promise, and some of the character designs were pretty cool. It was sloooooow though.

You might be interested in the author's new manga though... Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa. It's only ~20 chapters for now. The character designs are awesome again IMHO.

----------

Weeklies

Naruto
Oh hey! The tailed beasts were good all along! Who knew! Naruto bad guy #59757856 that is not evil but just misunderstood! Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh.

Bleach
Is it weird I don't care about ANY of these characters? God this arc is stupid.

Fairy Tail
And to complete my complain trilogy, Fairy Tail was dumb again! Yay!

Others

Negima
Negi gets a negi up his negi! I liked Zazie's costume though!

The World God Only Knows 171
Nothing of note happened so...let's see how he re-conquers Ayumi next chapter I guess.

Air Gear
I need more Obama shots.

#14 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

I have since then started a couple more manga, some of which I will even continue.

Fairy Tail: I read this from start to current. I had previously started the anime way back when it started, but I'd stopped for some reason pretty early on. Glad I picked it up, though, because it is really interesting (for the most part).

To Aru Majutsu no Index: I thought the anime was really good, so I decided to read the manga. What I didn't realize at the time was that it was actually based on a light novel, though, so the anime is actually farther than the manga.

Pumpkin Scissors: Another anime I watched (see a pattern?) that only ran for about 24 episodes, and since I thought it was interesting, I decided to read the manga it was based on. Unfortunately, I can only find a few volumes translated, so I wasn't able to read a lot of it. It's supposedly been going since 2002, though, so maybe they're out there somewhere...

Hayate no Gotoku: This is possibly one of my favorite anime ever, so I thought the manga would be good. And it is. It's really funny, and I'd definitely recommend it. The anime is a bit different (lots of extra/filler, though those are good in this show too), but they're both really good. This is the other one I'll be continuing to follow.

I've been considering reading Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa, but i was on the fence about it. If you recommend it, though, I'll check it out.
EDIT: Okay, I've read up through the most recent chapter now. I can definitely tell that it's by the same author as Mx0, and I consider that a good thing. Looking forward to reading it as it comes out.

Edited by Phaeon, 27 December 2011 - 08:46 AM.

#15 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

All of Fairy Tail? You are a brave man. The last time I read everything of a 200+ chapter manga might've been as far back as Naruto... I'll try Hayate no Goku if you recommend it, since our tastes seem pretty similar. Though how you read 350(!) chapters so fast I will never know. Nice to see you like Kagami as well.

Liar Game 143
MOAR! Musical chairs was awesoooooomeeee and this Bid Poker thing seems tricky as well. Seems similar to 4 card poker from before, which I thought was executed well. (Though the outcome was a little hard to believe but I took it at face value) My guess is that they will try to use the "everybody wins" strategy from the mock game in the real game and someone bids 2 coins on the last lot to screw the last person over. It's what I'd do anyways.

Eden no Ori
So I read some of this. It's Lost meets Jurassic Park. Nothing is ever explained. Moving on I guess.

So because my plead for more Liar Game paid off I'll now request the gods of manga to give me more P2 Let's Play pingpong, the only sports manga I've ever actually bothered to read! Pretty Please!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users