Photo

Important Question Regarding Homosexuality

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Important Question Regarding Homosexuality

Do agree or disagree with the statement below?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:40 PM

So tell me this, Donut: How would your stance change if we were talking about, say, African-Americans instead of homosexuals? Condoning hate on a technicality seems pretty weak to me.

#17 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

Well Yaoi, there's people still out there that despise African-Americans. However, you have to realize opinions and freedom of speech [which is totally relevant because opinions etc] can go both ways- if people say they love a country, they can also burn its flag. If people say they love babies, then people can also say "PRO-CHOICE GO ABORTION." If one man can say "I have a dream," then another can say "Well so do I, but you're not in it." If people can say they love other men, then people can also say they hate them.

#18 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:36 PM

In response to Sabs' response to my response:
The KKK actively commited hate crimes, which is different unless we're talking about those who do the same to homosexuals which is definitely not okay

And also yeah the homophobes I know all have the same argument: "I'm okay with gay people as long as they don't try to hit on me" which personally I think they are just flattering themselves

#19 Davidius

Davidius

:D

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • XBox Live:DavidIre

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

People are entitled to think whatever they like so long as they don't act upon their thoughts and bring harm to others. To say that it's 'wrong' to hate homosexuals is the same as saying that it's wrong to have a certain opinion just because it's controversial or doesn't please you.

I would say that an atmosphere of "What you're thinking is bad, you must be more politically correct in your thoughts!" is going to do a lot more harm to be honest.

#20 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

Picture this conversation:

Guy 1: "Wow, that was great! I had a lot of fun, we should do this again sometime!"

Guy 2: "Yeah, I haven't had that much fun in a long time. How does next week sound?"

Guy 1: "Yeah, that'd be awesome. I could bring my girlfriend, too. You have a girlfriend?"

Guy 2: "Nah, I'm gay."

Guy 1: "Oh..."

Guy 2: "So, next week?"

Guy 1: "Actually, come to think of it... I've got a business meeting that I forgot about. Can't make it."

Guy 2: "Ah, that's too bad. Well, let me know the next time you're free."

Guy 1: "...yeah... I'll do that..."

Fear and hatred woudn't mean anything if people didn't act on their emotions. Unfortunately, people have a habit of doing things based on their opinion. Do you really thing the conversation above woudl have ended the same way if Guy 2 had answered "Sure, that'd be cool" when asked if he had a girlfriend? Or even just "No, I don't have one"? I can bet Guy 1 would have acted more favorably if Guy 2 had even said "No, I'm a Satanist so girls won't come near me".

#21 Slayzie

Slayzie

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

Davidius has a good point. I think I'll go with what he said.

Also, Linkmaster, that's really funny. Because last I checked, there was a bit in the bible directly condemning homosexuality. But lol, christianity. It's a trap! religion followed by hypocrites, no?

#22 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

It never says "hate homosexuals". It just says that they're sinners.

And, as famously put, "Love the sinner, hate the sin".

#23 mdonut281

mdonut281

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE (Phaeon @ Apr 14 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Picture this conversation:

[consider the conversation pictured]

Fear and hatred woudn't mean anything if people didn't act on their emotions. Unfortunately, people have a habit of doing things based on their opinion. Do you really thing the conversation above woudl have ended the same way if Guy 2 had answered "Sure, that'd be cool" when asked if he had a girlfriend? Or even just "No, I don't have one"? I can bet Guy 1 would have acted more favorably if Guy 2 had even said "No, I'm a Satanist so girls won't come near me".

I think Guy 2 would need a new friend to hang with.

Seriously, I'm all for letting people hate on each other, but jeez, get some new friends if they're all gonna be butts like Guy 1 is.

It's like a white person trying to get into a Hawaiian-only school [haha taking real-life examples here]. White boy tries to get into this school when he's got no ounce of Hawaiian blood, yet he's like "I want to go here anyway." He's just asking for it. He knows he's gonna get treated like poo, but some other worldly factor is saying he'll make it through.

I BELIEVE PEOPLE, INCLUDING GAYS, ARE SMARTER THAN THAT.

Guy 2 should be smart enough not to hang out with Guy 1, mainly because Guy 1 is a douche. Guy 1 hates gays, okay, life goes on. He's entitled to his feelings. Guy 2 should move on, much like how anyone else should whenever they learn their friends or acquaintances are really douches.

People act on their negative emotions, true. Victims of said people should respect their decision and move on.

Side note- I'm surprised at the number in here advocating the burning of haters [exaggeration haha] when no one does a thing about a certain filter we have. I mean associating Yaoi with poo, of course. What is that?

Edited by mdonut281, 14 April 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#24 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:54 PM

People are entitled to their opinion. It's how they act on that opinion that is of concern. End of story.

#25 Slayzie

Slayzie

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:14 AM

It's called randomness, Donut. Bullcrap has absolutely nothing to do with Admiral Ackbar quotes either.

#26 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:04 AM

That's a filter, Slayer.

#27 mdonut281

mdonut281

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:19 AM

I was merely pointing out that while it was made in the intentions of "randomness," the filter can be brought into question when looking at this topic.

As can our jokes. ;_;

#28 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:48 AM

I fail to see how you can detect people that hate homosexuals, except in some very obvious cases...
So, being "smarter than that" is almost impossible.

Point is, if Guy 2 had said nothing about being homosexual, he would have never known that Guy 1 hated homosexuals, and they probably could have been friends. But Guy 2 souldn't have to hide it - it's part of who he is, and he should be accepted as a person wether he's homosexual or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users