Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • PSN:PM me
  • Steam:PM me
  • XBox Live:PM me

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Tedfield preordered this for me. It should be showing up in the mail soon with it's golden wiimote goodness and all. <3333333

#92 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:51 PM

I really like the gold WiiMote, though I was kind of hoping for a matching sleeve...

My eyes hurt, so I'm taking a break. Might come back later, but I'm thoroughly enjoying myself so far.

#93 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:19 AM

I won't be able to play today because of work and then class....harumpf....

#94 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:18 AM

The Collector's Edition guide has a cloth map? I may have to check that out, too.

I won't be able to play today because of work and then class....harumpf....

Don't worry, you're not the only one (research papers are due soon). At least I could play it for 10 hours yesterday.

So far, it's pretty good. Starts out slooooooooooooooooow, but it really takes off after the first few hours.

#95 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

I really like the gold WiiMote, though I was kind of hoping for a matching sleeve...

Aw! Oh well I always remove the Wiimote condoms. They obstruct my use of the Wii Zapper for when I play Umbrella Chronicles.

According to the fiance, our copy should be at my residence before Thanksgiving. Excitement!!

#96 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

If you haven't listened to the CD that comes with the game, you should. I put my 4 favorite tracks (LoZ 25th Anniversary Medley, LoZ Main Theme Medley, WW Symphonic Movement, and TP Symphonic Movement) from it onto my iPod, and I've been listening to those 4 tracks nonstop at work.

#97 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 22 November 2011 - 07:00 AM

9 hours until I can play again....this is unbearable.

#98 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

So...having had some time to contemplate the game, I think I have a good idea about how I feel about it now.

First off; Skyward Sword is a great Zelda game. It is not by any means as great as Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker or maybe even Twilight Princess. But it is a great Zelda game nonetheless. I think the problem I have with the game that brings it down for me is that it seems to have some sort of identity crisis. It feels, by and large, the least 'Zeldaish' of all Zelda games I have ever played. Even less than Zelda II and Phantom Hourglass, which I consider to be pretty far off as well.

The art direction is astounding for one. No doubt about that. But when the game starts to throw dungeons at you which have decidedly odd art for a Zelda game, I kind of lose interest. Because this is not what I paid good money for. It would be fine if the content that is un-Zeldaish was interesting and unique, and had flavor to it, (see Majora's Mask, even though that was playing it by the books as well) but it doesn't. A sequence where the game basically puts you in an underground cave with zombies in it comes to mind.

The big problem that then pops up for me is that, while the game is a great Zelda game, it is not much beyond that. And when the game tries to be something beyond a Zelda game, and throw in things like the crafting system, it simply isn't good enough. A Zelda game is a Zelda game, and I enjoy that style a whole lot, but it isn't more than that. A style of game and the story surrounding it. When they try to cram crafting in, it feels unnecessary and bland to me. If you really wanted to give me the option to upgrade my item so it could go faster, why couldn't I just give you 3000 rupees or something? Instead I have to give you items, which by the time I actually upgraded something for the first time, I had 100 of already.

The above makes me sound like I hate change and basically want a dungeon expansion pack for my Zelda games, but I really don't. I just think that they are trying to play catch-up to other games in areas that are completely unrelated to Zelda. Blinded by tradition the Zelda team will not acknowledge that it is part of the already established formula that Ocarina of Time (though it was phenomenal) shackled the series with, that needs to be changed and modernized, and not some haphazard crafting system (among other systems) that is not in any way as good as the systems it is trying to emulate from other games.

For example; Why does the Zelda team after Wind Waker insist on this giant open world, whether it be sea, sky or land, which contains nothing and is basically just a teleporting device? The novelty of the boat in Wind Waker lasted the game because it was new. The novelty of the boat in Phantom Hourglass, the train in Spirit Tracks and now the bird in Skyward Sword lasts about five minutes for me. It would be a non-issue if there was actually something to do in these open areas, but instead you get like four or five islands that are big enough for you to walk around on for more than three seconds. And most of these are mini-games.

And then there's the story. Which again, feels like it wants to be way more than it was ever cut out to be. I enjoy that, for once, they tried creating a plot that has some sort of impact on the entire plot line of the series, but it feels careless. All it is is the final boss saying "HEY MY PROPHECY IS THAT GANON WILL SHOW UP BYE". Beyond that, the implications of the story are limited to finding out what the words Hyrule and Hylian originate from and the origin of the Master Sword. That's great, but again, it feels decidedly un-Zelda to me, and means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

So to make a long story short, I guess my issue is that the game tries so hard to be something it is never going to be, that it fails to be anything BUT what it is always going to be. If that makes any sense. I really do appreciate them trying something new, because while the structure introduced in Ocarina of Time appeals to me greatly, I would be way more excited to see them trying out a new structure while maintaining what makes Zelda, Zelda.

If you want to make a Zelda game, make one. Don't make a Zelda game that tries to incorporate 'modern' tropes that ultimately aren't part of why one buys and plays Zelda. OR go all the way with it. This halfhearted 'kind of' devotion to some of the new systems just ends up not only annoying me, but also in severe disappointment.

Edited by Albert Chamomile, 23 November 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#99 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:45 AM

Time to avoid this thread too.

#100 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:50 AM

Time to avoid this thread too.

Did I spoil anything? I thought I spoiler tagged all of the important stuff.

My apologies if I didn't.

#101 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:45 PM

Since I seem to have killed all discussion XD, I'll just add that the reason why these things bother me so much is that I absolutely adore the rest of this game. It just happens to be so schizophrenic with it's highs and lows for me.

So yeah, don't be afraid to post your thoughts people.Posted Image

#102 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

I haven't finished it, but I'll post my thoughts once I do.

#103 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

so i just dug this thread up because i finally beat Skyward Sword and i couldn't think of any other place to state my thoughts on it! i really hated it at first, but like all Zelda games, i really grew to love it towards the end. this game had some super intense moments, and although the controls were mostly a hindrance they made for some cool combat. anyway, the new stuff was neat. dat silent realm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users