Photo

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 25 March 2009 - 01:39 PM

http://www.zeldauniv...game/#more-4396

Thoughts? Opinions? I'm honestly disappointed. I thought Phantom Hourglass was utter garbage that only found lifeblood in some of the games clever mechanics, and from the looks of it, it looks like a carbon copy of PH. I'm hoping for original, challenging dungeons (which PH failed to deliver), an actually original, engaging story (I might as well forget about this one). I would love to have a freaking massive overworld to explore. Though if the trailer serves a look on how the game is going to play, we're going to be confined to that stupid train when we're traveling to different locales. However, we'll just have to see what happens if this game decides to hit the shelves this year.

Edited by Ziltoid The Omniscient, 25 March 2009 - 01:51 PM.

#2 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 25 March 2009 - 02:54 PM

I absolutely love what I see...wow. Phantom Hourglass was amazing and I cannot wait for this.

#3 Remorse

Remorse

Ok, who let the enermy in our base?

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:33 PM

I'm a bit disappointed by nintendo's lazy modelers and texture makers. Looks like they've uses some of the old models and textures if you look carefully. Also now that your stuck on a track you can't move freely around, eventually to do quests you'll figure out the quickest path there and this ruins the fun of making link go in circles.
(when the Fire Truck did link bow to zelda, and who would give a train to a kid.)

#4 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:13 PM

You mean like they did with Majora's Mask with the OoT characters? Because MM was awesome. There's no reason why Spirit Tracks can't be, even with used models.

I'm not entirely sure what I think of a train in the realm of Zelda (or the outfit...). It's all been very fantasy-ish for the most part until now. ...Then again, PH had a steam ship, so I suppose this wasn't too far off. I just don't want it to lead to cars or planes, y'know?

Besides that, I think it'll be excellent. I loved PH, and if this turns out to be more of the same, I'd be okay with that. You know why? Because branching out too far causes destruction (see: Sonic).

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 25 March 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#5 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (Ziltoid The Omniscient @ Mar 25 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(...) an actually original, engaging story (I might as well forget about this one). I would love to have a freaking massive overworld to explore.

I can understand some of your complaints, but your looking for an engaging storyline in a Zelda game? There's only so many ways you can say "PRINCESS GETS KIDNAPPED! GANON: OHNO YOU GOT ME LINK WELL HERES A BATTLE OF FATE AHAHAHA" The only way your ideas would've been possible on the DS would have been 2D. And it was obvious they were gonna milk this 3D engine for all it's worth.

The trailer honestly made me laugh with the silliness of Link on a train. (The bad way) The very first thing it reminded me of was Final Fantasy 7. I have no idea why they are going this route considering a large blue ocean is a lot more visually striking and believable than giant wide open green grasslands with nothing in them.

Not to mention, what the hell is Tetra/Zelda doing in a castle? I thought Hyrule was gone? Did they find a new island and now Link is some stupid royal cab boy? It doesn't look bad at all, but the game looks like a Phantom Hourglass clone with the designers only swapping some dungeon lay-outs and giving you new items. At least most Zelda stuff has new mechanics and nuances.

The game IS going to be released this year, hopefully it isn't the type of game I think it is going to be.

Oh by the way, I hate the name, so there's that.

#6 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Well, since this is probably a sequel to PH, which was a sequel to WW, in which the King said something about living for the future, and Zelda said that they'd find "the land that will be the next Hyrule", I'd say it's going in the right direction. Sure, the King said that it would not be Hyrule, but would instead be THEIR land, but either way, he wanted them to make a new kingdom. Don't you think this ties in pretty well?

Maybe that's what the train is for - to commune with other civilizations and make the new kingdom thrive and become the Hyrule from another game.

Either way, don't dismiss everything as "omg this sucks" right away. We've done that in the past (or at least I did) with games like MM and PH, and they turned out to be amazing.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 25 March 2009 - 04:41 PM.

#7 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (Linkmaster30000 @ Mar 25 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, since this is probably a sequel to PH, which was a sequel to WW, in which the King said something about living for the future, and Zelda said that they'd find "the land that will be the next Hyrule", I'd say it's going in the right direction. Sure, the King said that it would not be Hyrule, but would instead be THEIR land, but either way, he wanted them to make a new kingdom. Don't you think this ties in pretty well?

Maybe that's what the train is for - to commune with other civilizations and make the new kingdom thrive and become the Hyrule from another game.

Either way, don't dismiss everything as "omg this sucks" right away. We've done that in the past (or at least I did) with games like MM and PH, and they turned out to be amazing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to do that at all. (Maybe I worded it a bit negatively) I'm just questioning some design decisions. Moving away from Hyrule was a very brave thing to do. But it just feels like they went "Alright we have this engine, now let's make a boating game without boating." AKA a vehicle on green rolling hillsides. A Zelda game will stay Zelda, that's why I enjoy it. I just don't want it to become "Ride to dungeon A, beat said dungeon, Ride to story event, complete, Dungeon B, etc." But I have faith in the Zelda team.

Now to speculate like awesome Zelda fans:

The leaf thing Link threw in the trailer; Replacement for the boomerang? Maybe a Gale Boomerang like in TP? He retrieved a key with it and hit a switch, not to mention the line drawing to the target. It looks like some kind of leaf propeller. One thing that is noticeable though is that it only blows things in one direction.

Item option is gone, probably somewhere in Menu now. In it's place some kind of "Guard" icon that let's you move dudes around? Hopefully the puzzles amount to more than "Move dude over obstacle to switch, done".
A whistle icon is also visible; Maybe like Pikmin you can call the Guard off of whatever it was you told him to do at any time, which is great.

Also at the top of the screen in the same scene you can see a Safe Zone from the Temple of the Ocean King from PH. HOPEFULLY that is some new mechanic, because that was kind of a hassle in PH.

Also just noticed that the Boomerang is a separate item from the leaf blower thing, so hmmm.

Hyrule Castle from the distance actually looks a lot like the Hyrule Castle in TP. Still vehicle hearts so that means upgradable parts again? 4 different speed settings and a choo-choo button? XD.gif

Stag Beetle boss is probably first boss in the game, being in the forest setting and all.

Also, the map screen when the train is in the giant green grasslands indicates that there is at least another screen to explore. Maybe 4 map regions like in PH?

#8 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

The A-B-C thing is my fear as well - I enjoy the open-endedness that Zelda gives. However, I doubt they're going to try to mix PH with 4 Swords and give us the result. Like you, I have faith in the Zelda team, especially when it's getting more difficult to come up with new games for a 15-year-old series.

I'd still like to see them utilize the Wii's functions. They've succeeded with the DS, but the Wii has kinda been left alone aside from TP, which is just a flipped GCN game with gimmicks to include the Wiichuck. But for now, I'm just going to look forward to ST with open arms, like I should have for PH.

#9 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

Ugh, I detest true-fans.

Let's face it, do any of us have a clear and well defined vision of what would make "the next best Zelda"? If so, send it in writing to the guys at Nintendo, and hope it flies. Otherwise, we're all spinning our wheels and piddling out useless whining. I too felt that PH was a bit on the easy side, but I found it an enjoyable casual game to play.

To be honest, the beginning gave me an odd vibe when Link appeared in a conductor's uniform, rather than the traditional green tunic (which he dons while on the field it appears). As LM has so eloquently stated, this may be a connection to the King's last wishes, where now this timeline is breaking away from the traditions of the legend, and moving into a bold new world. I really appreciate that, I really do. At least now there's a possible chance that we won't see any more reproductions in which it is difficult to explain how Ganondorf keeps returning.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day, they release a plot that includes alternate universes as to confirm our suspicions.
Of course, maybe they never will explain that.

#10 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

QUOTE (Hero of Winds @ Mar 25 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can understand some of your complaints, but your looking for an engaging storyline in a Zelda game? There's only so many ways you can say "PRINCESS GETS KIDNAPPED! GANON: OHNO YOU GOT ME LINK WELL HERES A BATTLE OF FATE AHAHAHA"

That's why I want them to do something dramatically different with Zelda, story-wise, and gameplay-wise. Anything that's outside of the cookie-cutter formula they've been rehashing since ALTTP (excluding a select few).

Oh, and this picture doesn't make me anymore optimistic:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Edited by Ziltoid The Omniscient, 25 March 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#11 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 10:48 PM

lul, the Phantom Pal.

This requires humorous images to be drawn.

#12 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE (Madarame @ Mar 26 2009, 04:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh, I detest true-fans.

Let's face it, do any of us have a clear and well defined vision of what would make "the next best Zelda"? If so, send it in writing to the guys at Nintendo, and hope it flies. Otherwise, we're all spinning our wheels and piddling out useless whining. I too felt that PH was a bit on the easy side, but I found it an enjoyable casual game to play.

To be honest, the beginning gave me an odd vibe when Link appeared in a conductor's uniform, rather than the traditional green tunic (which he dons while on the field it appears). As LM has so eloquently stated, this may be a connection to the King's last wishes, where now this timeline is breaking away from the traditions of the legend, and moving into a bold new world. I really appreciate that, I really do. At least now there's a possible chance that we won't see any more reproductions in which it is difficult to explain how Ganondorf keeps returning.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day, they release a plot that includes alternate universes as to confirm our suspicions.
Of course, maybe they never will explain that.

Are you seriously going at me for speculating? You know, the thing you do when you 'are' a so called "true fan"? Calling names for whatever seems down-putting for you is one thing; Another is to tell someone to shut up about a newly announced title in a series that the forum is dedicated to.

Am I saying X or Y is good or bad? Hell no. I clarified in my second post here that I am simply questioning: "Why do this or that?" I am not playing judge in the slightest. The Zelda series is extremely unpredictable in some areas, as a "true fan" would and should know.

So, to put it bluntly, if you don't want to see people talking about Zelda, maybe you shouldn't be reading a Zelda topic in the Zelda forum on a Zelda board, instead of saying:

"Nobody knows anything but Nintendo, so let's stop talking about the game."

#13 Triforce+

Triforce+

When I was your age, I was catching Pokemon, not STIs

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

If Nintendo is trying to make a more "modern" Zelda, I would of actually preferred they use guns. Not trains. What are we, five?

I know how you feel, I never finished Phantom Hourglass. And I was really expecting ZWii. I guess we'll have to wait for E3 for that. And I know it will be E3, because Nintendo has never released two portable Zelda's after one another (Seasons and Ages were simultaneous.). And never have they made a game so stupid looking.

Nintendo, do us a favor: TP SEQUEL.

#14 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

Robo, correct me if I'm wrong, but did I ever directly specify you in that post? Cool your jets kiddo.

I love the Zelda series as much as the next guy, but, as you just stated now, it's a "newly" released title - with a few trailers. That comment was also NOT directed at you, but at those that are already going "BAWWWW" at it already. I'd rather keep a positive outlook on it until it comes out, rather than crying about it being a repeat, or a lazy hack off.

---
Edit: Also, did you even read the rest of my post, or did you just get stuck on my first paragraph?

heh, I keep editing this post as more thoughts come to mind. When I posted that, I hadn't even read your post - I just freshly came back from the sites with the trailers and felt sort of irritated by the comments. This ended up being one of those "bad timing" things. Never the less Robo, please learn to cool your jets off. You know I'm not like that.

Let's just work towards being better Zelda fans for the future.

Edited by Madarame, 26 March 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#15 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Triforce+ @ Mar 26 2009, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If Nintendo is trying to make a more "modern" Zelda, I would of actually preferred they use guns. Not trains. What are we, five?

My dad plays with trains. They are not children's toys any more than cars are.

I could see re-making models or graphics engines if they were switching platforms, but... PH did a good job of using the DS's capabilities, and I would guess any improvement for the system would be mostly unnoticeable.
Plus, re-inventing things (especially code) is almost never worth it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users