Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:13 PM

I've finished one dungeon so far. Thought I'd write down my thoughts as I play, kind of like in the Pokémon X/Y thread. Anything spoiler-y I'll put in such stuff.

Progress
Deaths: 0
Pendants: 1/3
Heart Pieces: 5/??
Maiamai: 7/100
Bottles: 3/?
Current location: Tower of Hera

- This world is amazing. It's fun to re-explore and see all of the changes, even with the overall layout being very similar.

- Ended up renting every item because it's ridiculously easy to get rupees in this game. I wonder when I can actually purchase them...

- The music is updated in a wonderful way. There's still the nostalgia rush, but it still sounds new. I love the way the music changes ever-so-slightly when you wall-merge.

- Maiamai are cute, and will likely be overly addicting. I want to get them all.
Spoiler

- Two of the bottles
Spoiler

That's it for now. Looking forward to getting further!

#32 Torn

Torn

You're not in control

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

These spoilers are strictly after you get to Lorule or before, so if you're anywhere near there, these should be safe. And it's nothing plot-related really.

LM:

IN regards to rupees and renting, oh, just wait until

Spoiler

Also...

Spoiler

Edited by Torn, 22 November 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#33 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Okay, got to Lorule. Hasn't really been too bad, actually. The Cyclops still suck.

Progress
Sages: 0/7
Heart Pieces: 17/28
Maiamai: 52/100
Bottles: 4/?
Current location: Thieves' Town

- The Lorule music is the Dark World music, only awesomer.

- I bought everything that's available.
Spoiler

- Rupees are even easier after
Spoiler

- Maiamai are still ridiculously addictive.
Spoiler

- I have upgraded 5 of my items.
Spoiler

- I have access to 5 Lorule Dungeons, but can probably get to the others if I look more. I just have to decide which one to try first.

That's it for now. Suffice to say that this is the best new Zelda in a long time, and undoubtedly my favorite both for handheld Zelda games and 3DS games in general. Everything just feels right.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 23 November 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#34 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

Found the Pegasus Boots by accident!
Spoiler

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 23 November 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#35 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

Okay, end of Day 2!

Progress
Sages: 5/7
Heart Pieces: 23/28
Maiamai: 100/100
Bottles: 5/5
Master Ore: 4/4
Current location: Turtle Rock

- Got all of the Maiamai and Bottles.
Spoiler

- The Lorule dungeons seem to go back to the "there's an item hidden here" formula. Unfortunately, there are 3 dungeons that you have to do in a specific order, but the others seem to not matter for order.
Spoiler

- Master Ore is the "item" in three of the dungeons. The fourth piece is somewhere in Lorule - I forget where I got it. But getting it is DEFINITELY worth it.
Spoiler

Spoiler

- I tried out the Treacherous Tower, which is essentially this game's version of Cave of Ordeals or Pit of Trials. I finished Beginner (5 floors) and Intermediate (15 floors), and decided to go back to do Advanced (50 floors) after getting further.
Spoiler

That's it for today. I need to get to bed. I might finish up tomorrow, but we'll see.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 23 November 2013 - 10:53 PM.

#36 Torn

Torn

You're not in control

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

I'm nearing the second-to-last dungeon. I'm pretty much where LM stands, minus two deaths (early game), 15 heart pieces (only get the ones I explicitly run into), and only 3 bottles.

I overall love the dungeons (minus the water one), but think that the bosses are lacking in the fun department. The ice boss was probably the best thus far if only for the visuals and strategy.

Finally get some use for the friggen sand rod tomorrow. I can taste the end. Still the best handheld Zelda for me, by far. In fact, I'd say it's the best 3DS game thus far. Glad it is somewhat open world, but is kind with the non-linearity. The next Zelda handheld should use this as a base and build up in my opinion.

#37 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:24 AM

I totally agree - I hope this is a kick-start for the franchise overall. No game has felt this fresh since Majora's Mask, in my opinion.

I like how the Lorule dungeons all have different music. My favorite music so far is the Desert Palace (also my favorite dungeon so far).

Swamp Palace was my least favorite as well. What a surprise - it's a water level.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 24 November 2013 - 06:25 AM.

#38 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

At the final boss! ...But I still have some extras to do, so I won't finish it yet.

- Desert Palace has my favorite music, and is probably my favorite dungeon overall. I must say, though, that the Ice Ruins are quite creative.

- Lorule Castle's music changes as you progress, kind of like the Spirit Tower in Spirit Tracks. It's not overly exciting, but I like it.

- Turtle Rock's item is
Spoiler

- Ice Ruins' item is
Spoiler

- Lorule Castle's item is
Spoiler

That's all I've got for now. Once I finish off the Heart Pieces (and do the Advanced Treacherous Tower), I'll finish this game off, and post a full review in my KG Blog.

#39 Torn

Torn

You're not in control

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 09:13 PM

Finished, not 100% by any means.

So I died to the final boss because, well, I'm used to enemies being thrown back- and out of habit, I kept drawing closer to him when that's the worst thing to do.

I'm interested to see your review LM! I think the ending was pretty damn awesome. The plot twist at the end I saw coming a mile away, but eh, I can see how some other people may process stuff differently.

#40 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

I have my suspicions, but I'm very interested to see what happens.

I had that enemy throwback issue a few times as well. I still do sometimes - they made it a bit more realistic in this game, I'll say that, but it still throws me off at times.

I've gotten all of the Heart Pieces now! Feels good to never have to do Octoball again (HATE). Going to try Advanced Treacherous Tower, then finish up the game.
^_^

#41 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Finished the game! Final thoughts before the full review!

- Jeez, that was one heck of an ending. Some of it I kind of guessed would happen, but some of it... just wow. I'm impressed.

- The Treacherous Tower really isn't that bad with the following:
Spoiler

- I used 1 Fairy when I tried to go further in Death Mountain early in the game (flew away pretty quickly afterwards), and 1 Blue Potion against the final boss. That was about it.

- Most used tool: Bow. Killing enemies from afar was nice, especially because it's more powerful than the Hero's Sword.

- Least used tool: Boomerang. I think I used it once, maybe twice.

- Favorite dungeon: Desert Palace. Partly because of the music, but I think it was designed pretty well overall.

- Least favorite dungeon: Swamp Palace. Water level trololololol.

- Favorite boss: Knucklemaster. It was a little bit challenging, especially once the floor started disappearing.

- Least favorite boss: Arrghus. Same as always.

- Favorite moment: Finding out who Ravio is.

- Least favorite moment: Frickin' Octoball.

And that's it! Expect a full review in my blog tomorrow! Oh, and one final picture (in case you didn't believe me or something):

remd.png

#42 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

beat it without any spoilers or anything until the very end - I beat all the dungeons and then had to look up how to get the Pegasus Boots >_>
I ended up getting everything except for 3 heart pieces (and maybe some special extra minigame bonuses?), mostly because I didn't care enough (and didn't have internet).

Spoiler

Best item by far is the Nice Fire Rod, just point it at things and they get hit 2+ times at Master Sword-damage. Makes short work of nearly everything, including a lot of bosses. oh, and it hits flying things, so that's cool.

The bow was a close second though, and was my best weapon up until the fire rod upgraded. Still the best weapon for farther enemies and anywhere with water.

I basically only used the other items only when I absolutely had to. Definitely worth upgrading items before doing the dungeons that require them if possible, though, especially the ice rod and sand rod.

I ended up getting more than enough rupees for anything without really trying. You can find red rupees pretty much everywhere, and even silver ones aren't too uncommon.

I liked a lot of the dungeons, and I think they did a lot of interesting things with the whole melding into walls thing. Overall, I really enjoyed the game.

Edited by Phaeon, 30 November 2013 - 06:21 PM.

#43 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:53 PM

Yeah, most of the bonuses that aren't Heart Pieces are (SURPRISE!) more rupees.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users