Anti-smoking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:30 PM

Lately, they've been passing all sorts of laws banning smoking in tons of public places here, and I couldn't be happier. Only a matter of time before the two guys at work can't smoke any more...not that they should, they already sound like crap.

About...I dunno, two-three years ago, one of the last times I saw this friend before he moved to Texas for grad school, he started smoking for some stupid reason. I think his girlfriend got him to start smoking. Barf. Anyway, he's only a year older than me, and he still smokes, despite me telling him to stop...but even he knows it's bad for him, but he does it anyway. Ugh. I may need to rethink who I hang around.

My grandma's been smoking for like 30-40 years, but when she moved out here in March, she stopped for good. Hasn't smoked a single cigarette. Though that's likely only because my parents don't allow smoking in this house...I dunno, I never understood why she could "quit" smoking when she flew out here (back when she lived in Texas), but went right back to smoking once she flew home. Now she's on oxygen...so....yeah. Enough said.

#2 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

i don't even get the appeal behind cigarettes before, it's so wrong that they exist.

#3 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

I don't care for cigarettes but I don't care if people smoke. If you want to smoke, go for it. Yeah second hand smoke is bad and all that jazz, but... I dunno. I just don't understand being so zealous about NOT smoking. Just let people smoke in smoking areas. That way, smokers don't have their freedoms limited and you don't have to be around it if you don't want to.

#4 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm with Frau on this. I think smoking is a horrible idea, both because it's revolting and because it's a gigantic financial drain (both from the product and the health care); but if someone wants to do that to themselves, I don't really care, just so long as I'm not forced to share.

#5 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:39 PM

I'm with Frau on this. I think smoking is a horrible idea, both because it's revolting and because it's a gigantic financial drain (both from the product and the health care); but if someone wants to do that to themselves, I don't really care, just so long as I'm not forced to share.

Yah, dis.

#6 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:50 PM

Pretty much this as well.

#7 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

But they have the right to smoke. If they enjoy it and understand the risks, then I don't see a problem with it, as long as they smoke in a respectable way. Anti-smoking laws and jobs that forbid smokers are just another example of our freedoms being stripped away. Honestly, I think people are getting their panties in a wad about the whole smoking issue. People who are anti-smoking constantly whine about "second hand smoke," and "being a drain on health care." Chances are, the air outside is packed with as much chemicals and other carcinogens as second hand smoke, thanks to industries pumping the air full of toxic chemicals. And the air inside might not be as "clean" as people think it is. People who don't smoke are just as much of a burden as the people who don't smoke, because chances are, they'll live longer, and use more health care resources.

Honestly, it's just society's definition of "what's acceptable" at the time. It changes very frequently, and for the most part, what society defines as "acceptable" is a load of shit.

Edited by Haku, 27 April 2012 - 06:22 PM.

#8 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

Totally agree with you. I personally have no problem being around people when they're smoking and have been known to smoke a cigarette once in a blue moon and I smoke weed and hookah pretty regularly. Smoking cigarettes is not a habit I want to pick up, but it's not something I think should be illegal. I understand that people don't want to be around it though, so there needs to be some middle ground (i.e., designated smoking areas). But yeah, mostly people just get all uptight about it because people tell them it's bad. I understand not liking it, but it's like forcing your religion or any other belief that you hold to onto other people. Believe what you want, respect that people don't agree with it.

#9 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

But they have the right to smoke. If they enjoy it and understand the risks, then I don't see a problem with it, as long as they smoke in a respectable way. Anti-smoking laws and jobs that forbid smokers are just another example of our freedoms being stripped away. Honestly, I think people are getting their panties in a wad about the whole smoking issue. People who are anti-smoking constantly whine about "second hand smoke," and "being a drain on health care." Chances are, the air outside is packed with as much chemicals and other carcinogens as second hand smoke, thanks to industries pumping the air full of toxic chemicals. And the air inside might not be as "clean" as people think it is. People who don't smoke are just as much of a burden as the people who don't smoke, because chances are, they'll live longer, and use more health care resources.

Honestly, it's just society's definition of "what's acceptable" at the time. It changes very frequently, and for the most part, what society defines as "acceptable" is a load of shit.

I agree with you mostly as well.

Just one thing though. Freedom is all well and good, but it also comes at the price of responsibility. I'm fine with people smoking their hearts out. As you said, the health care argument is kind of dumb because it's mostly based on chance. I know people that had been smoking their entire adult lives who died of old age.

They should however, be responsible and considerate. AKA don't be a douche and start smoking in cramped spaces where people have no way to stand aside a bit if they don't want to be part of your air. Sure the air is polluted with plenty of crap anyways, but what matters is the concentration of said pollution in your near vicinity, which is obviously way higher with cigarette/cigar smoke.

I also think that "designated smoking areas" aren't a bad idea. I have no idea how it works over in the US, but over here, you are not allowed to smoke indoors unless the owner of the building says you can. (excluding hospitals and similar stuff,o bviously you can never smoke there) You ARE allowed to smoke anywhere outside though. And I honestly think it works really well.

FYI I know plenty of people who smoke and I don't bug them about it. Anybody who smokes knows the potential consequences. I just want the option to opt out of that crap when I so desire.

#10 Frausky

Frausky

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:28 PM

I feel like I should throw in some input to this discussion. I made a video on my thoughts.

Video

Edited by wowfanboy691337, 28 April 2012 - 12:33 PM.

#11 Torn

Torn

You're not in control

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

That's deep Paul.

#12 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:02 PM

I would rather smoke something myself than spend a minute in a smoked-in car. Craptastic smell.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users