Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

Pfft, I don't care. I have a system I like, and I'm getting free games. If other people get a better deal, good for them. No point getting upset over it.

#17 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • PSN:PM me
  • Steam:PM me
  • XBox Live:PM me

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

They have every reason to be upset. I'd be upset if I bought a system that's clearly not worth the launch price and found my system to devalue 80 more dollars after a quarterly report I couldn't wait to observe just so I can share 20 free games with people who have patience or the chance to get in on the same deal at a lower price. I'd be upset and displeased. With myself. For being a greedy, loyal fan.

I'm being facetious. I think you get exactly what you're willing to pay for actually. If it's not, then you just made an 80 usd or so, non-deductible donation to Nintendo, because you're a nice person and a loyal fan; however, I'm a little shocked that Nintendo may not have considered the fact that retail stores would lower the price immediately after the announcement, or that they may have been naughty enough to use this as an opportunity to temporarily drum up some more 3DS sales before the next quarter. Naughty.

Mostly, I'm shocked that there are pretty much no original games worth a Shaq-Fu yet. Send loyal fans a copy of a free 3DS game. I'm just kidding?

Edited by Valentine, 11 August 2011 - 10:33 PM.

#18 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:27 PM

I was surprised by the immediate price drop as well, because I'm pretty sure that's not what Nintendo wanted.

I guess my point is that if you're upset with yourself for buying a system that only has one game that's worth anything, then that's up to you. Me, personally? I have no reason to dwell on it. Is being angry at myself for paying the initial price going to change anything? No, except give me perhaps a small dose of depression and a crappy outlook for the immediate future.

Heck, I could've waited to buy about half of my games until they were on sale or used. Systems too. I could've waited and gotten a 360 Slim, or a black Wii, or a smaller PS1 and PS2. There's a lot I could've done differently. Hindsight is 20/20.

I bought the 3DS for $250. I bought OoT3D and Link's Awakening, and got PokÚdex 3D for free. I have since enjoyed my system immensely, and I choose to focus on that instead of what I should've done.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 11 August 2011 - 10:29 PM.

#19 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Like I said, I was being facetious, but yes. While I can see where the shock of how it's being handled might be relevant to people who would have hoped that their system wouldn't tank in value that fast (not unreasonable), why would anyone not wait until there was at least one quarterly report before deciding it was a safe purchase if it mattered?

#20 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

Precisely. That was my initial plan, but the desire for OoT3D got to be too much, and I broke down and bought one. Just the way it goes.

#21 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

I had a feeling there would be a price drop, I just thought that it would be much, much later, like a full year. Not 5 months, that surprised me.
It's startling, yet not surprising, that some retailers are doing the "best of both worlds" approach and putting the 3DS on sale for the lower price and selling it before the actual price drop.

#22 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:45 PM

Linkmaster, I can't impulse buy systems. There is nothing about my life that currently screams, "I have the luxury to afford a system that might only have one game (shiny port) that I was excited about back in 1990-whatever." Those games will just have to be there a whole year later, just for me. :D

Wesker, it's neither startling nor surprising. Retail functions solely to push products, not amass them so Nintendo can brace their "loyal" fans.

Edited by Valentine, 11 August 2011 - 10:46 PM.

#23 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:55 AM

It makes business sense above all else. Nintendo spends almost a third of their yearly budget on R&D. I can imagine that if these expenditures have the 3DS as the outcome, (plus material costs, licensing costs, etc.) any company wouldn't just throw everything overboard.

However, with $250 as price point, they completely missed the shift that the iPhone and other smartphones have brought about. In an age where people legitimately ask themselves things like this, the "Nintendo Tax" isn't really viable any more. Add to this that people in any other country than the US or Japan have been getting shafted hard by Nintendo since the dawn of time. I bought a Wii for Ç250 or ~$354. Why pay over $100 more to get shittier customer service, extremely Hey, that kangaroo just took my ball. translation and less releases for a premium price tag?

A region-blocked system for a higher price than the US one, with less, higher-priced games, that have crappier translations and only a handful of interesting games that are out or announced.

The bad sales are their own fault honestly. Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

#24 James Cooper

James Cooper

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Picking up a beastly 3DS pretty soon. What da eff... revelations demo with mercenaries? I don't think I even want to play that. The temptation will be horrible.

Edited by James Cooper, 14 August 2011 - 09:35 AM.

#25 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

The Penny Arcade thing is funny but I don't know how much I agree with that. xP I think dollars/hour of play is a slightly better measurement of cost-effective value than dollars/game. Most of my iTouch games get a couple of hours of play with the exception of great apps like Angry Birds. Most of my console/handheld games get anywhere from 20-100+ hours. That's just me, personally. I've gathered that most people seem to have a couple of phone games because the phone itself has a greater common function, so until Nintendo pumps out a smart phone in lieu of handhelds...

Edited by Valentine, 14 August 2011 - 11:09 AM.

#26 James Cooper

James Cooper

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:00 PM

I think I made a topic before, but I wish every game regardless of price gave me a nice 4-10 hour narrative.

2 hours would be acceptable even

Edited by James Cooper, 14 August 2011 - 12:00 PM.

#27 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

^ This, though the image was questioning cost effective purchasing not enjoyment. If you paid 40 dollars for 40 games you played for an hour each, would you be getting a comparable deal if you paid 40 dollars for 1 game you enjoyed for 40 hours?

#28 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 03:53 PM

I think the main problem is that, disregarding system prices, you either pay $40 for a game you have let's say, 50-50 chances of liking, or 40 $1 games you have 50-50 chances of liking. Obviously people (like the ones on this forum) will like a Zelda game 99 percent of the time but I'm sure there's iPhone games like that around as well.

And not all DS/3DS games are 40 hours long. I'll gladly pay whatever they ask for Super Mario 3D Land or whatever, but if that game is 40 hours long I will proudly wear a MLP avatar for an entire year.

#29 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

These are all fair points, but that's not what I'm driving at. I'm not saying, "3DS games take probably 40 hours to beat." Don't think about any other variables. What I'm asking is, assuming all hours were enjoyed and you already owned whatever platform they require, 40 games for 40-ish hours versus 1 game for 40-ish hours. Which way was your money most effectively spent for enjoyment?

My answer? It didn't matter. If I paid about 1 dollar/hour to keep my mind happily occupied either way, it didn't matter. Neither was more fun. Also, if you don't put 40 hours in SML 3D through play/replay, you might still enjoy it. That matters more. I won't suggest that a game does have to be super duper long to be fun, because they don't.

I think the main problem is that, disregarding system prices, you either pay $40 for a game you have let's say, 50-50 chances of liking, or 40 $1 games you have 50-50 chances of liking.

I've enjoyed more than half the games I've bought, so I dunno about 50-50. Maybe if every purchase you make is an impulse buy. Today I'll get Super Mario Galaxy. Tomorrow... I'll get Barbie's Horseback Riding 3! >:3

Edited by Valentine, 14 August 2011 - 05:56 PM.

#30 James Cooper

James Cooper

• Banned
  • 366 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

I have a gift, always buying games I love. I don't buy a huge amount of games. Usually only around 10 a year. I recently got rid of about 25 games, they were all Hey, that kangaroo just took my ball. ones I bought when I was a lot younger. But in the last few years, I haven't bought a game that I didn't like. I never read/watch reviews and prefer to know as little as possible about a game before I buy it. It's like a sixth sense. Works for film too most of the time, but recently I've been in a slump.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users