Photo

Should video games be protected under the First Amendment?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • PSN:PM me
  • Steam:PM me
  • XBox Live:PM me

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...ent-protection/

Well, this is probably a slanted place to poll such a question, but I feel that everyone should be aware of the constitution and how these decisions can effect other protected and non-protected forms of expression. Any thoughts?

#2 Torn

Torn

You're not in control

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:19 PM

Should be protected, amendment or not. Video games don't teach people to kill, it's not as easy as pushing a square button.

And plus ESRB was set in place for a reason, it's stupid parents that should be blamed, not video games.

EDIT: And then where do we stop? Should we censor every single cuss word in a song by default? And then restrict their forms of expression as well?

Edited by Torn, 01 November 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#3 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:20 PM

A lot of these people just kill people in video game because IT'S FUN. They would probably never think to actually harm anyone. Those that do, have a screw loose. Look at me. I enjoy killing people in Borderlands a lot, but I would never even think about seriously harming someone. A friend of mine played Goldeneye at 11..is he a violent guy now? No.

But yeah, little kids should not be playing these kinds of games. Period. They shouldn't be exposed to that stuff. Games are rated M for a reason. I blame the stupid parents, it's obviously not the game's fault.

I bet a lot more kids would be scared shitless if they fired a live gun if given the chance. Look at Penn and Teller.

#4 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:47 PM

If video games aren't protected, no media should be. Let's see how many movies would still be on shelves.

#5 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:17 AM

Of course.

#6 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:24 PM

And there it is in a nutshell: books, music, and movies would be the next under fire, and because we've seen where that usually leads, I'm not terribly worried that any ruling would declare video games too violent or imposing on a child's mental health to not warrant constitutional protection.

Be forewarned that issues like these detract the citizens' attention from more serious issues. Hot button topics are always brought up around election time to distract voters from what's really effecting and harming our society. Politicians scoop up the majority vote by throwing them a red herring. Bush did this in his second run for presidency by suddenly beating the same-sex marriage issue into the ground to win back more socially conservative votes.

#7 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

http://www.rcfp.org/...dex.php?i=11619

They're hearing the case tomorrow.
What's stopping kids whose parents let them do whatever they want from asking them to buy them all the mature games they want if this passes?

#8 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 09:07 AM

First, I did read some articles about whether movies have the same effect on the frontal lobe, and it seems like people believe they do. So, perhaps since we all very clearly understand that movies and video games are fake, the frontal lobe serves no purpose when it's being exposed to constant imagery we accept as fake.

They may say that this is for the sake of protecting children, but what about the adults? Should every adult be held responsible and limited in expression simply for somebody else's poor parenting? Absolutely not. I'm sick of parents who blame somebody else for their child not being a prodigy or because their child is mentally warped or because they fail at conversing moral convictions or anything at all into their children.

#9 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:21 PM

No, the bad parents need to take responsibility for what they are: bad parents. It's not right that just because of them, everyone has to suffer. But, of course, I doubt they will ever take responsibility, because they are just that, bad parents.

#10 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

Parents can be some of the hugest entitlement sluts you'll find in society. They'll go out of their way to tell you to watch your volume, but won't so much as coo at their own toddler to calm their tantrums in public.

#11 Medic

Medic

STANDING NEAR ZEE POINT DOES NOTHING!

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Steam:Kabuto (gngrievous if you're searching will work too)

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

They should be, and perhaps we have George Bush to thank for them not being banned or censored right now. After all, if Gore had been elected, he might have moved to ban video games as he did when he was a governor.

Not to diss Al Gore fans or whatever, just saying.

#12 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:20 PM

Tipper Gore isn't much better either.

#13 Medic

Medic

STANDING NEAR ZEE POINT DOES NOTHING!

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Steam:Kabuto (gngrievous if you're searching will work too)

Posted 09 November 2010 - 09:58 AM

Tipper Gore isn't much better either.

No, I would suppose not. But she didn't run for president as far as I'm aware.

#14 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:26 PM

Presidency isn't the ultimate form of political advocacy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users