Photo

Important Question Regarding Homosexuality

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Poll: Important Question Regarding Homosexuality

Do agree or disagree with the statement below?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ataraxia

Ataraxia

✽ ✾ ✿ ❁ ❃ ❋ ❀

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

So, basically today in health class my teacher was telling us how it is okay to be homophobic. In other words, it's okay to hate and be afraid of gays.
Do you agree or disagree with her?

I, frankly, disagree. In fact, I was ready to get up and leave the classroom the second she said that. Believe me, I'm a very accepting person, and I respect people's freedom of choice, but COME ON. Being homophobic or not shouldn't be a choice. People shouldn't be homophobes in the first place.

#2 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

Very much disagree (with your teacher). Even if someone believes that homosexuality is beastly, sinful, or just plain wrong, that does not mean that they should be shunned.

My personal opinion is that while the Bible says that only one man and one woman should be married, it ALSO says to love all people without conditions. As such, I do not hate, fear, or shun anybody that I know. A lot of my friends are homosexuals, and I'm not about to give up their friendship just because of romantic preferences. I'm a lover of all people, not just of a select group of individuals who believe the same things as I.

So I think that a lot of Christians are hypocrites - they say to love as Jesus loved, but then they rally against homosexuality. If Jesus were around today, I truly believe that He would dine with everybody - any race, any sexuality, any... whatever. He did back in biblical times, so why wouldn't He now?

Homophobia should be as outdated as witch-hunting.

Edited by Dras, 11 April 2008 - 06:10 PM.

#3 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Dras @ Apr 12 2008, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very much disagree (with your teacher). Even if someone believes that homosexuality is beastly, sinful, or just plain wrong, that does not mean that they should be shunned.

My personal opinion is that while the Bible says that only one man and one woman should be married, it ALSO says to love all people without conditions. As such, I do not hate, fear, or shun anybody that I know. A lot of my friends are homosexuals, and I'm not about to give up their friendship just because of romantic preferences. I'm a lover of all people, not just of a select group of individuals who believe the same things as I.

So I think that a lot of Christians are hypocrites - they say to love as Jesus loved, but then they rally against homosexuality. If Jesus were around today, I truly believe that He would dine with everybody - any race, any sexuality, any... whatever. He did back in biblical times, so why wouldn't He now?

Edited by Robo, 12 April 2008 - 05:06 AM.

#4 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

I disagree too. And I'm a Christian, so that can make things awkward. I get conflicting arguments from teachers too. Some of my teachers have gay friends who are Christians. They go to church and everything. Blah blah blah. Personally, yeah the Bible says it's wrong, but I'm not going to hate an entire group of people because of that. It doesn't say to hate them. And besides, my brother is gay, and he's like one of my best friends. Being homophobic is just stupid. Just because someone would prefer the same gender, it doesn't mean you should be afraid of them or hate them. Sorry if that didn't make sense...I'm talking to like 3 people right now.

#5 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

Disagree. It's stupid that your school is teaching intolerance, and it's stupid that anybody tries to excuse their intolerance with he Bible.

There are quite a few anti-gay passages in the Bible, (Genesis 19 being the most commonly cited one) but there are also quite a few passages that could be interpreted as condoning incest, murder, and sexism too. Without starting a religious debate, I'm just saying that I see the Bible as a collection of stories that are to be used as guidelines, and if one were to follow it verbatim instead of using common sense, people would end up being a lot more depraved. And, LM brought up a great point: one cannot claim to love their neighbor if they look down on gays.

You should complain to your school board, and tell them that your teacher is promoting a climate of intolerance. And if they don't respect your rights, then you should take your complaints to somewhere higher up.

#6 Kelsey

Kelsey

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • PSN:Gokiburi-sama

Posted 11 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

Disagree. It makes no sense to me to hate somebody because their romantic preferences are different... As far as I'm concerned, it's like hating someone because their hair color or eye color is different. It's bullcrap.

I had a disagreement with my hypocritical "Christian" mother today regarding this exact subject, actually (and by "disagreement" I mean her stuffing her opinions down my throat while I tried and failed to put my thoughts into words). People like her are why I don't do the whole religion thing anymore. That, and the fact that the Bible says some Yaoi that completely goes against my beliefs.

The gay thing is only the tip of the iceberg.

But I agree with Sabrage, take it up with the higher-ups and get this teacher's intolerant bum fired.

#7 Spritek

Spritek

someone...somewhere...is pushing buttons

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Steam:Spritaek

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:11 PM

nuh-uh...

(Before I say anything, I'll say that I am a well-rounded Christian, just so you have my perspecive)

I've been going to a Christian School all my life. What they said about homosexuality was that it was unnatural, and the result of people being driven by their own desires. Of course there are "Christians" who condemn, rebuke, even murder homosexuals because they say it's sinful. My school says we should accept them just the same. Homosexuals are one of the most unhappy people in the world because society rejects them for their orientation.

But I say... pardon my language... Fire Truck society, and those Un-Christian Christians.

Homosexuals should be accepted as regular people. Who knows...they might change.

#8 Icarus

Icarus

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE (Dras @ Apr 11 2008, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

very well stated, i agree completely with you, and completely NOT with your teacher.
I (like almost everyone here apparently) am christian, and I have NOTHING against homosexuals.

That whole situation is stupid, and she should be fired - she is discriminating against you and i think you should take action. ><

Said teacher would never get away with this if it were race, or gender, or religion
she shouldn't be able to do it with orientation.

Edited by Icarus, 11 April 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#9 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:58 AM

Agree. As much as I am against the discrimination of any people, we all have different values we were raised on, and trying to tell someone that their beliefs against those of homosexuals are not morally correct make us no better than the people who do try to tell us that homosexuality is wrong. I think agreeing to disagree is the best thing to do in this situation (no pun intended since this an 'agree' 'disagree' statement- I merely mean let's live with the fact that we cannot change someone else's deep-rooted opinion).

Edit: wow I am the only person who agreed so far...

Edited by Sir Uncealot, 12 April 2008 - 12:59 AM.

#10 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:11 AM

Actually, there is a difference between being a homosexual and being a homophobe. Homosexuality is a victimless "crime", that causes no pain to anybody else, where intolerance directly puts homosexuals in a climate of hate and fear. Somebody was raised on a skewed moral system where hating gays is acceptable can easily learn to be tolerant and accepting towards the homosexual community if they actually tried, but they do not. It's not like gay people can make the same decision.

I understand what SW is trying to get at, but these are two completely different things. It's like saying that the KKK should be allowed to operate freely (though that's not as outlandish to some people as it should be)

#11 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 12 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (Sabrage @ Apr 11 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Disagree. It's stupid that your school is teaching intolerance, and it's stupid that anybody tries to excuse their intolerance with he Bible.

There are quite a few anti-gay passages in the Bible, (Genesis 19 being the most commonly cited one) but there are also quite a few passages that could be interpreted as condoning incest, murder, and sexism too. Without starting a religious debate, I'm just saying that I see the Bible as a collection of stories that are to be used as guidelines, and if one were to follow it verbatim instead of using common sense, people would end up being a lot more depraved. And, LM brought up a great point: one cannot claim to love their neighbor if they look down on gays.

You should complain to your school board, and tell them that your teacher is promoting a climate of intolerance. And if they don't respect your rights, then you should take your complaints to somewhere higher up.

Probably shoulda mentioned that I go to a private Christian School huh? It's not that their teaching us to hate homosexuals, it's just that they're saying it's sick and wrong. I basically share the exact same view as LM, while some of my teachers think it's more like just condemn them for being wrong. Like LM said, a lot of Christians are just hypocritical on the issue.

#12 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 02:04 AM

Agree. "People shouldn't be homophobes in the first place" is a very close-minded statement that many pro-[insert advocacy here] protesters are saying against the people that hate them.

What, people can't be scared of homosexuals? Are you limiting the fears of people? It's one thing to be prejudiced against homosexuals, but when you say homophobia then clearly there's some inner-working within these people that tells them to be uncomfortable around gays. Sure, it's now viewed as morally wrong, but for some people it's very hard to accept two guys or two girls going out with each other almost as much as how much you'd hate to date someone with a vagina.

I'm all for equality, but if you're saying "people shouldn't feel this way because we're something different and they should all accept change," then I'm going to have to disagree against you. People just have to understand that others in this world just have actual issues with things, and sometimes homosexuals happen to be said issue.

#13 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:23 AM

I think my main point is that being scared of the people who are homosexuals is kind of pointless. It's not as though they're going to hit on you or try to convert you or anything. It's okay to be afraid - for a while. But overcoming your fears will make you stronger, and you will realize that they are people just like you. You may not agree with what they're doing, but that doesn't mean that you cannot accept them. It's kinda like being afraid of blacks or whites - why shun them all when only a few (in the grand scheme) are dangerous?

And hating in itself is just plain wrong, and should also be stopped.

Edited by Dras, 12 April 2008 - 08:24 AM.

#14 Ataraxia

Ataraxia

✽ ✾ ✿ ❁ ❃ ❋ ❀

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

QUOTE (Dras @ Apr 12 2008, 07:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think my main point is that being scared of the people who are homosexuals is kind of pointless. It's not as though they're going to hit on you or try to convert you or anything. It's okay to be afraid - for a while. But overcoming your fears will make you stronger, and you will realize that they are people just like you. You may not agree with what they're doing, but that doesn't mean that you cannot accept them. It's kinda like being afraid of blacks or whites - why shun them all when only a few (in the grand scheme) are dangerous?

That perfectly describes my opinion as well. =]

#15 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Dras @ Apr 12 2008, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I wanted to get technical, ZF's teacher said it's okay to be homophobic, as in "an exaggerated usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation." When people have phobias of things, they're usually very scared about whatever they may be scared about. If you're homophobic then it would be completely okay to be that because really, other people have similar fears of the same magnitude as well.

However, he elaborated, and opened it up to just a basic "hate and be afraid." True, LM, hating is unhealthy, and the world may be better without it, but hating isn't "wrong" per se. To hate something is to have a strong opinion on it, sure, but an opinion nonetheless. Everyone's entitled to one, including all of us, as well as all the haters out there.

Would you like to know my stance on it? I just let them slide. Not only anti-advocates of homosexuality, but just haters and raggers in general- you know them, the people that dislike something or dislike the world for reasons that are beyond you [or not beyond you, just reasons you wouldn't agree with]. Why, you may ask? Well, let's take into account what LM was saying- hating isn't a good thing. To have that much negative joojoo in your body enough to hate or even dislike something isn't good for anyone, but chances are you won't be able to change that. Therefore, why worry about them? Unless they actually go out and beat you for being who you are, they're not harming you. You'll find negative nancies prevalent in any sub-culture, so why not just take it in stride?

Let them have an opinion. Just be sure not to listen to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users