Photo

Is Linkin Park too commercial for their own good?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Linkin Park too commercial for their own good?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Has Linkin Park become too commercial?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

Frau, I'm just Valentine. And thanks. I've been listening to SDRE for the past few years, and they just don't get old. Extremely amazing stuff.

Anyway, LP was never emo. Simple Plan is just pop punk much like FoB and MCR. Give a listen to Rites of Spring, Indian Summer, stuff like that where the emo genre began. I can't say I think they sound anything like LP. Personally, I'm convinced that emo died in the early 90s and was reinvented for the sake of labeling cliques and insults. Of course, that isn't to say that it hasn't influenced a lot of later bands, but that's another topic altogether.

That is exactly what I meant by the "actual definition" of emo - emo started in the early 90s with bands like Rites of Spring, The Promise Ring, SDRE, and sort of Jawbreaker too. It continued through the 90s, influencing bands like Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, and Saves the Day, and sort of died with them (those bands aren't really "emo"). People just took the old label and began applying it to whiney pop-punk bands like Simple Plan and really any band that showed any emotion. Hence LP, at least "Crawling" being labeled emo, even though most kids today (even those who claim to be "emo") don't know what the Fire Truck they're claiming to be.

@LM: I agree with you on liking a band regardless of popularity (I love Fall Out Boy) I think the problem that, at least real fans of these once underground bands, is that once they become popular, the quality of their music degrades. They pander to the masses and "sell out", they change their sound, their ideas, their lyrics to make money and not art. That's my way of thinking anyway.

Edited by Frau, 05 March 2010 - 06:37 PM.

#17 Pope Yvarg

Pope Yvarg

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

Dear lord I can't believe Linkin Park is still around! I'm in the same boat as a lot of people here; listened to them when I was twelve or so, then grew out of them. Of course, then in high school when I had moved on to many other genres everyone started listening to Linkin Park; weird. Anyhow, to address the question of this thread; yes, way too comercial. How can I tell? About a year ago I was riding in my friend's car when a modern rock song started playing off his ipod. After a couple minutes of listening to it in silence I said asked "Who is this? It sounds like Linkin Park, except without any catchy hooks or nifty beats." His response: "It is Linkin Park . . . "

#18 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:20 PM

@LM: I agree with you on liking a band regardless of popularity (I love Fall Out Boy) I think the problem that, at least real fans of these once underground bands, is that once they become popular, the quality of their music degrades. They pander to the masses and "sell out", they change their sound, their ideas, their lyrics to make money and not art. That's my way of thinking anyway.

All too true. Every band I like (with the possible exception of Rush) has done this. Queen and Scorpions are huge examples, as during the 80's, they started going more towards a pop sound than the hard rock they had before.

However, I've also noticed that they tended to get back to their original sound (only better) towards the end of their careers. Queen did with The Miracle and especially with Innuendo, and Scorpions has had three really rocking albums with Unbreakable, Humanity: Hour I, and (from what I've heard so far) Sting in the Tail. Styx did this as well, though with the 7-year break followed by another 6-year break, it was more difficult to notice the change.

As such, bands like Linkin Park will, if they follow the trend most bands do, eventually go back to their old style, assuming it's any different than it is now (as I said, I don't listen to them, so I don't really know what's changed).

#19 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • PSN:PM me
  • Steam:PM me
  • XBox Live:PM me

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:35 PM

I don't know... I think even taking the genre as far as Saves the Day, etc. is a bit much, too. Call me old school, but I definitely see the influence, but... emo was an 80s/early 90s thing. PR, SDRE, Jawbreaker, I think they're definitely way more influenced by emo than anything today. Great bands, too. Amazing stuff.

Oh man, not liking a band's popularity is almost as sell-out as a band selling out to be famous. There's better things to dislike about that band, I think, but that's just me.

#20 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:51 AM

I didn't mean to say Saves the Day, etc. were emo, but that they were probably the last wave of bands truly influenced by old school, true emo. Two of Chris Conley's (Saves the Day) biggest influences were Sunny Day Real Estate and Jawbreaker.

However, this is turning into a discussion of emo and as interested as I am in that topic, this topic is about LP. Bleh.

#21 Medic

Medic

STANDING NEAR ZEE POINT DOES NOTHING!

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Steam:Kabuto (gngrievous if you're searching will work too)

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Exactly what LM said. You should like bands because you like them, not the "popular" group you're trying to fit in with or whatever. Likewise, you should only dislike a group because you don't like their music, not because it's "cool" to dislike them.

I do like them, I mean because in most cases, the more popular something gets, the crappier it becomes.

Like what Frau said.

Edited by Cacturne, 07 March 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#22 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:39 PM

whoah valentine did you just say la quiete and saetia?
i never thought i'd hear namedrops like those on this forum again after sabs quit posting here.

and as for the emo discussion that i missed, no one mentioned cap'n jass and that makes me sad because they were up there in importance with jawbreaker and sunny day... actually they might have been more important, just less popular.

also linkin park this post is now relevant.

#23 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:07 PM

I certainly did. I love those bands. Cap'n Jazz was pretty good stuff. Sorry, there's easily a crap load of bands worth name dropping in such a topic, but oh man... I could really go off on a tangent there.

#24 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:57 PM

Must...not..get sucked into a debate...*starts posting* aw, dammit.

I do like them, I mean because in most cases, the more popular something gets, the crappier it becomes.

Like what Frau said.

I see what you're saying, and yes, generally that does seem to be true. Basically the bands that get super popular (and some games for that matter) seem to lose touch with their base. You know, the group of fans that supported to band in the first place and made them popular to begin with. Although technically, in this case, it can't possibly be one actual group of people...At least a group of people in a much broader sense. It's not like a group of 5-10 people has the power to instantly make a new band popular. It's almost like they go "mad with power", or in this case, mad with a sense of popularity.

I think that Linkin Park is definitely doing that. They were definitely better back when I was like 12...although maybe that's cause I didn't know ANYTHING about music back then...but...
I can understand where you're coming from, because as I said, yes, bands do tend to go a little overboard, seem to ignore their original fanbase and cater to the "popular" crowd. I think if you don't like a band because of that, it's not nearly as bad as say, not liking a band simply because you think it's uncool to like what the popular kids like.

#25 Blacktail

Blacktail

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 12:33 AM

They were definitely better back when I was like 12...although maybe that's cause I didn't know ANYTHING about music back then...

I think this is funny, because this seems to be the general concensus with all of us. The more defined all our tastes have become over the years, the less we all like them. Kinda says something about them, doesnt it? XD

#26 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:54 AM

Blacktail, that's a pretty funny point. I always thought their lyrics may have appealed more to angsty tweens myself. "omg, mom, they're soooo angry! it's cool!" Aw, I kid the young people. Personally, I moved onto industrial metal shortly after LP.

#27 (Insert)

(Insert)

Dr McCaptain Brackets

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

Somewhere in here is a discussion on Linkin Park. lol.

#28 Medic

Medic

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

I mostly like the weird instruments they use on occasion, like a weird synth violin thingie, and I like that one guy that does "rap-core" or whatever you call it on some of their stuff.

#29 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

Bullet William, that is kind of an appealing factor, I have to admit. If I ever liked Linkin Park, it was because they took nu mutal, rap, and crazy sound effects and smooshed them all together. Of course, that was back when I thought Limp Bizkit was bitchin', too. Wow, that must have been nearly a decade ago.

Edited by Valentine, 11 March 2010 - 08:56 PM.

#30 Medic

Medic

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

I'm sure I'll grow out of it too..

and luckily I didn't actually buy Linkin Park because my muffer has most of their CDs already XD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users