Photo

Study Habits and how you prepare for school

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:45 PM

For those of you who are in school, college, or anything in-between and want to succeed, you already know the importance of good study skills and habits. Be it constantly repeating the facts verbally or mentally until the knowledge seeps in, making flash cards with questions written on one side and the answers on the other, tape recording the lecture and listening to it at home, taking notes and reading over those, or anything else. I am quite curious on how study habits and what people tend to do to get ready for tests and exams.

For me, I do a number of things. For one, I take good, thorough notes in class on my laptop (which makes note taking a lot faster), and when I get back to my room, read over the notes a few times. Text book companies are really good now-and-days and have pretty good online practice help and problems. I tend to do a number of the quizzes on the website, which reinforces the information that I have just read over, and helps store the information in my long-term memory. For exams, I usually begin to study the weekend before the exam. For some reason, I learn and absorb more under a bit of pressure. I've never been able to study weeks in advance for an exam, and I don't know why. However, when the pressure starts to weigh down on my shoulders, learning and retaining information comes a lot easier for me. And for those pesky essay only exams that I get ever so often, I read over the section that the information comes from. I outline the basic points and memorize the information that relates to those points by repeating the information over and over until it sticks. Then, when the exam day comes, I can write page after page of information about the topic. Using these study habits, I usually make all A's, save for my math class in which I have a high B in.

So, how do you prepare for school, exams, test, and anything of the sort? And who knows. Maybe someone with questionable study habits will read this topic and hopefully, pick up on some viable suggestions for preparing for test and the like.

#2 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:29 PM

Back when I was in school, studying just screwed me up. I lost my train of thought and it just killed me...

All I did was copy everything. I took an insane amount of notes, wrote down absolutely everything. I never looked them over again, as just writing them once was enough to keep them in my memory.

Just how I learn I guess...by repeating.

#3 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 27 October 2007 - 10:55 AM

I take notes during class, look over them the night before, and usually do pretty well.

Mind you, I don't have many classes that actually use tests nowadays, but whatever.

#4 Dekrem

Dekrem

Made you look?

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

I use a lot of visualization for memorizing things. It takes a lot of work on the forefront, but if I made the associated scene wacky enough, I'll only need to look through it once a week to keep it fresh.

Example:S = E x B /

S is called the Poynting vector, so I started off with an image of Family Guy's pointing monkey:

E and B I interpreted as the initials of Encyclopedia Brown...

...so I continue the image with the monkey poking Encyclopedia Brown with excessive force, sending him flying somewhere.

E and B are also the numerator of a fraction, so I have Encyclopedia Brown land on top of some elevated platform.

, or "mu" is the sound a cat makes, so I imagine a cat walking underneath the platform, suddenly growing several times its size...

...then eating Encyclopdia Brown.

Like I said before, outrageousness makes for easier memorization for me. And with practice, the process of coming up with association images becomes quicker.

I've also read about another way to memorize lists by memorizing the layout of a building like your house or dorm, mentally walking through your building, and imagining objects associated with what you want to memorize throughout the building. I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine it's similar to what I do. In any case, this article gives a good description.

Hope that's useful to someone.

Edited by Dekrem, 27 October 2007 - 04:26 PM.

#5 Pope Yvarg

Pope Yvarg

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 05:39 PM

I pay attention in class. That's really it. I got an A- in Chemistry last year without really writing anything other than assignments down. Then when tests come around I fill out the study guide given to the class by the teacher to tell me if I remembered it all. And if I don't remember how to do anything I go online and relearn. Simple; although I realize that when I get to college I'll probably be screwed over because high school is pretty easy . . .

#6 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 28 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

So to sum things up:
-I only read what I need to
-My friends and I split the workload by sending each other our essays to help on another out
-I don't "study" except for Finals, bigger tests, etc. with which I use the detailed notes I took in a zombified state where I don't learn anything when writing, i just mechanically write a jumble of letters that mean nothing to me until I read them later

So yeah I kinda don't study

#7 Ataraxia

Ataraxia

✽ ✾ ✿ ❁ ❃ ❋ ❀

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:51 PM

I don't, except for finals.
I seem to be doing well enough.

#8 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:37 PM

I don't usually study. Some classes, I don't pay attention either. I recall sleeping through most of calc II.

But when I do study, it's best to divide it into parts. When I was learning hiragana, I'd take about 5 characters and just keep writing them over and over when I had free time or a programming class. Then, I'd try to write them on a different sheet of paper, along with all the other characters I'd studied to that point. Then I'd stop, and do it again later with a different set.

The keys to memorization are repetition and relation. You can repeat something over and over, or you can relate the information to something else you already know - like remembering an equation for, say, AC capactience based on its similarity to the AC inductance formula (or people getting eaten by cats, whichever).

#9 Big Wario

Big Wario

I am the Spar-tan.

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:40 PM

QUOTE (Dekrem @ Oct 27 2007, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use a lot of visualization for memorizing things. It takes a lot of work on the forefront, but if I made the associated scene wacky enough, I'll only need to look through it once a week to keep it fresh.

Example:S = E x B /

S is called the Poynting vector, so I started off with an image of Family Guy's pointing monkey:

E and B I interpreted as the initials of Encyclopedia Brown...

...so I continue the image with the monkey poking Encyclopedia Brown with excessive force, sending him flying somewhere.

E and B are also the numerator of a fraction, so I have Encyclopedia Brown land on top of some elevated platform.

, or "mu" is the sound a cat makes, so I imagine a cat walking underneath the platform, suddenly growing several times its size...

...then eating Encyclopdia Brown.
Like I said before, outrageousness makes for easier memorization for me. And with practice, the process of coming up with association images becomes quicker.
I've also read about another way to memorize lists by memorizing the layout of a building like your house or dorm, mentally walking through your building, and imagining objects associated with what you want to memorize throughout the building. I haven't tried it myself, but I imagine it's similar to what I do. In any case, this article gives a good description.

Hope that's useful to someone.

Quite detailed. Im similar, but not quite like that. Mostly its a rhyme or an analogy that helps me remember.

#10 Owlface

Owlface

BREAK THE TARGETS

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

I don't really cram much anymore. I might look over some notes or a study sheet right before the test, but otherwise, I quit caring about school about the same time school quit caring about me. Except Art. And occasionally, Journalism.

Edited by Urhot, 10 November 2007 - 10:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users