Photo

Serious Idea; Need Help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Pick names for the leads

Male Lead (pick 3)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Female Lead (pick 3)

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Triforce+

Triforce+

When I was your age, I was catching Pokemon, not STIs

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Long story AKA WALL OF TEXT WARNING.

I've been thinking of writing a novel. Now, I consider Face a "Light Novel," search it on Wiki to know what I mean. The writing style for Face is like a Manga or Anime, but I've been thinking of going outside the box. I have a story idea called "Realizer," and I've started to brainstorm for it. Basic plot is:

-Female Lead likes Male Lead
-World where people have to "Realize" who they love, similarly to "Imprinting" in Twilight (But there will be many differences. I haven't had the chance to think out this yet. Right now just think of it as Imprinting.).
-Female lead can't "realize"; is called a "loner" Male lead "realizes" on someone else; Female lead feels devastated.
-Being a "loner" means you're special. How so, I don't know yet, but will somehow involve a council that may or may not eventually turn out to be evil. Female lead is forced to join the council.

Now, I want to make it a trilogy, so "Realizer" might end right when ether the female lead joins the council, or before that, I don't know. But I want to end it on a solid point, in case it turns out not to be a trilogy in the end (you know, with publicity and all that. :/).

But it's still on it's infancy stage, so all I'm asking right now is for names for the male and female leads. I may need help with the supporting characters (their friends) but that will come later (Though I think I'm going to name the main supporting male Kai. Oh Beyblade, how I loved you so. XD.gif).

Here's some rough notes I have on the main characters:

MALE LEAD
-tall, well built, but not that good looking; average
-16-18 years old
-black hair, hazel eyes
-smiling, kind, nice, cares about looks, friendly
-childhood/best friends with the female lead

FEMALE LEAD
-tall-ish
-16-18 yrs old
-light brown hair, blue eyes (I just had to have one of my main characters to have blue eyes. XD.gif)
-is a "loner" (can't "realize")
-loves male lead
-kind to friends and family, shy towards others
-childhood friends/best friends with male lead

So that's what I have. I need names, I really want to go through with this, maybe even get it published. Do I have your support?

Edited by Triforce+, 15 December 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#2 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

I never really got past the first few pages of Twilight, so I have no idea about anything within its context.

Regardless, I'd need to see about three chapters before I can come to a solid decision - that's my rule of thumb.

#3 YoungLinkFan

YoungLinkFan

How dare you steal my ocarina!

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Sounds really interesting. I'd need to see some writing to give you a solid opinion but it definitely sounds like an interesting concept.

#4 Slayzie

Slayzie

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:07 AM

QUOTE (Triforce+ @ Dec 15 2008, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh Beyblade, how I loved you so.

HELL YES

Also Jayden and Amy are good names

Also basing the plot off a story element in Twilight is a terrible idea

#5 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:42 AM

WE HAVE TOO FEW PEOPLE OUT HERE IN KG THAT ARE SERIOUS PROSE WRITERS. YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION, TRI.

Like Deep, I'd like to see some sample chapters before passing judgment. It'd be beneficial for you as well, to see how much you really want this done. :D

Also, your initial characters seem like cookie-cutter leads. Nothing that makes them stand out upon initial notice. =/ It'd be understandable in film, as you can hit up the actor to deliver some edge take on the character, but in literature having such square characters can get boring quick (like those in Twilight! ZING.).

While constructing the plot, keep in mind character development. Have them go through changes, realizations, epiphanies. Don't be afraid to throw muck at your characters for the sake of conflict, as what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

Also, none of your names stick with me Holy Crap.gif Either go for something with meaning (research characters in other stories/series, and name your own characters after those that fit the most; altering the name is cool beans; ps- this is part of allusion, which is cooler beans :D), or go with my suggestions which are totally not biased at all: Liam or Felix for the male lead, Genevieve or Gloria Jean (seriously, who wouldn't be shy around people with those names?).

edit- just noticed you had "Lian" as a choice. =/ If you meant that as Liam, you win :D If not, then my suggestion still stands Holy Crap.gif

Edited by Jack Skellington, 15 December 2008 - 07:43 AM.

#6 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

I think that's actually a pretty interesting concept to work off, I'm not keen on the title but that's like nothing. But... the romance story leaves little margin for mistakes, since it's such a stale medium you have to be pretty on top of it to set this story out from the rest. But I believe in you! I may edit with names later... I'm kinda busy :B

#7 Spritek

Spritek

someone...somewhere...is pushing buttons

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Steam:Spritaek

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

QUOTE (Jack Skellington @ Dec 15 2008, 04:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WE HAVE TOO FEW PEOPLE OUT HERE IN KG THAT ARE SERIOUS PROSE WRITERS. YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION, TRI.

Hey now.

AS per your novel, Tri, it sounds interesting. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Edited by Dropo, 15 December 2008 - 01:20 PM.

#8 Triforce+

Triforce+

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Roger @ Dec 15 2008, 03:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HELL YES

Also Jayden and Amy are good names

Also basing the plot off a story element in Twilight is a terrible idea

Well, it's going to be very different. Like how it happens is going to be different, and it happens to both people. But you have no clue how it works so be quiet and say I'm original. Holy Crap.gif

QUOTE (Jack Skellington @ Dec 15 2008, 07:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Like Deep, I'd like to see some sample chapters before passing judgment. It'd be beneficial for you as well, to see how much you really want this done. :D

I'll get a few chapters done when I have the characters' names and a definitive plot. I'm still working on it. ;)

Also, your initial characters seem like cookie-cutter leads. Nothing that makes them stand out upon initial notice. =/ It'd be understandable in film, as you can hit up the actor to deliver some edge take on the character, but in literature having such square characters can get boring quick (like those in Twilight! ZING.).

Well, being someone who reads Manga and watches Anime religiously, that really impacts on my character development. I always seem to write as if it was a TV show, or a movie, or a Manga (where Face and all my other ideas started. :P). I would really like a ton of help with character development. I'd really like your guys' opinion on the characters too. I was mostly trying to just get rid of stereotypes when thinking them up. :P

While constructing the plot, keep in mind character development. Have them go through changes, realizations, epiphanies. Don't be afraid to throw muck at your characters for the sake of conflict, as what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I have ideas for that for it's sequels. I can try and throw something at them, I think I have an idea (That involves the EVIL COUNCIL OF DOOM!!! (Yes, I decided that they are evil)), but I still need to think about it. (And in the last book, someone dies. Holy Crap.gif)

Also, none of your names stick with me Holy Crap.gif Either go for something with meaning (research characters in other stories/series, and name your own characters after those that fit the most; altering the name is cool beans; ps- this is part of allusion, which is cooler beans :D), or go with my suggestions which are totally not biased at all: Liam or Felix for the male lead, Genevieve or Gloria Jean (seriously, who wouldn't be shy around people with those names?).

I'm trying to go with more modern names for the leads. I picked some uncommon names for the female lead because of what you said. But I really dislike old fashioned names like your suggestions for the female lead. :/ I was actually thinking of Jean for the male lead, but my friend's male lead in his comic is named Jean, so I couldn't use it. :P

I have taken names from other literature and other stufObi-Wan never told you what happened to your fathere before. Talim was named after the character in Soulcalibur, and my (really really badly written) other story, Tashou Kousei, had 5 main characters named after Hikaru no Go characters. Why? I liked the names. XD.gif

I have also tried making my own names before. That's how I got Kendra and Kory Salvix. (Funny story with the "Salvix." My friend and I were trying to think up cool and evil sounding names, and he came up with "Servix." So then I type it into word and it gives me spell check for "Cervix." So then my other friend (YoshiLink) and I decide to change it to "Salvix." XD.gif) It's also how I got "Punk" in Tashou Kousei (His initials.). I've also taken names from my friends (two main characters in another story idea of mine called Boomer Beamer are names of friends of mine.), and other stuff like that. I enjoy doing name puns a lot (two other main characters in Boomer Beamer are called Blane and Sabrina, no doubt a reference to Pokémon. Holy Crap.gif), but I've also heard that looking at baby names is a great way to find names, and they're right. I'm trying to go with something different for these characters, that's why I picked uncommon spellings.

edit- just noticed you had "Lian" as a choice. =/ If you meant that as Liam, you win :D If not, then my suggestion still stands Holy Crap.gif

I was thinking of Liam, but I had Lian. I'm thinking of adding it to the list. ;)

#9 mdonut281

mdonut281

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (Dropo @ Dec 15 2008, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey now.

I missed something. You have a thread up? Show me moar, Snake ;_;

@ Tri- cool beans :D Nice to see you know where you stand (and firmly, at that), so just let the ink flow to the page. :)

#10 Triforce+

Triforce+

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:01 PM

Ok, now I want to work on the plot. I don't have the character names yet, but the vote seems to be looking towards Erika for the female lead and Lian and Jayden for the male lead. I'll leave the vote up a bit longer.

I've decided that a little action never hurt anyone, so I'm going to try and put a fight or something in the book. I don't know if it will be a "fight" per say, but I want it to appeal to both genders. Like Twilight was trying to do, but failed. :P (But I do know a lot of guys who read it...)

Any suggestions for the plot? I've never really thought up action-y scenes that are actually good, minus the ones that (are going to be) in Boomer Beamer (which none of you know about! Holy Crap.gif). Any ideas? I'm thinking that the "Loner" council should only come in the end, by name at least.

And the main supporting characters are...

Jessica
- Female lead's best friend.
- short
- blond hair, blue eyes (Yeah, expect every character of mine to have blue eyes unless their name is Arri or Landon. XD.gif)
- klutzy, smart, outgoing, enjoys romance as if it was an obsession
- "realizes" with Kai in the first few chapters; stay together in all the books (because something may or may not happen that may or may not take away "realizing" from people.)
-16-18 yrs old

Kai
-Tall
-blond hair with natural brown highlights, blue eyes (though I might be changing this to brown)
-becomes friends with the leads through Jessica, whom he "realizes" with.
-funny, joking-type, smiling, laughs a lot, generally happy guy, but can get serious real quick
-16-18 yrs old
-Dies in the last book

And I've given some thought to "realizing":

-both people feel it
-could be with any random person
-both people instantly fall in love, don't even give it thought
-people who can "realize" can do so because of a chemical every baby is given to the instant they are born. However, some people are resistant to it, and are called "Loners." Female lead is a "Loner."
-"Loners" made the chemical for WARNING: SPOILERS they think that love causes conflicts, and they wanted to control it. So they created "realizing" so that there would be no conflicts that have to do with love so the world could be peaceful. However, their plot now is to take "realizing" away, as they have noticed that more and more "Loners" have been coming into existance, and so they think the time has come for the world to be rid of love, as the chemical isn't working anyway. They fear that conflict will start if the "loners" decide to love each other, so their ultimate plot is to get rid of humanity, as they now think that is the only way to gain a peaceful world.

I gave the "Loner" council a ton of thought last night. :P

#11 mdonut281

mdonut281

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

I know I said throw as much Shaq-Fu as possible to your characters, but just throwing them into random fights isn't going to get anyone anywhere. XD.gif Perhaps someone getting mugged or something, see the character's reaction to a violent situation, etc.

Council of Loners perhaps order an anonymous bounty on them?

Edited by Jack Skellington, 15 December 2008 - 07:11 PM.

#12 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

A thought: Similar to the Sartan from the Death Gate series, every member of this race may have two names - one is a public alias, and another is a personal name that's only shared with their most trusted companions.

In the Death Gate series, should one Sartan share it with another, it was usually shared with someone they intimately trusted as it was a handle to their existence on the many different planes of possibilities. In essence, one with knowledge of this name could have complete control over them.

Also, tossing characters into random battles all the time doesn't help the plot much. Morals are the most powerful plot device; use them well.

#13 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

I'm sorry if I sound a little blunt when I say this but I think all the male names are really dumb. I believe it was XKDC comic that was talking about how the more words the author has to make up the less likely it is to e good... and I've never really heard those names before so I guess I'm thinking you should use more of an uncommon but still semi-well known name... like Sebastian or something. (But don't use Sebastian... lawl). And as for girl names I suck because every girl name reminds me of a girl i know and that affects my decision too much.

#14 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

I too despise naming things... thus I started yanking names from the dictionary.

I should have done the same for Phalasis.... I never once thought of anything gutter worthy of it until a few class mates pointed it out...

durr.

#15 Triforce+

Triforce+

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Jack Skellington @ Dec 15 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know I said throw as much Shaq-Fu as possible to your characters, but just throwing them into random fights isn't going to get anyone anywhere. XD.gif Perhaps someone getting mugged or something, see the character's reaction to a violent situation, etc.

Council of Loners perhaps order an anonymous bounty on them?

I don't think so with the Council of Loners (Imma use that until I think up something better. XD.gif), because she is a Loner. Plus, he "realizes," so she can't be with him anyway. OR CAN SHE!!! DUM DUM DUM!!!

Seriously, though, I don't think the bounty with the Council will work. And I'm not going to throw them into random fights, but I want to make some sort of plot where the characters are thrown into something and they have to stop it. I have these kind of things for the second and third book (Where they're trying to get rid of the Council.), but not one for the first book.

The first book ends with *insert plot device here* being solved, and then the girl learns the next day that the boy "realized" last night. She feels utterly destroyed, and then the Council of Loners formally introduces themselves and recruits her.

I've decided that, if you read the spoiler, that the Council of Loners is really only introduced at the end of the first book, but that they are really behind the Shaq-Fu that is thrown at them. XD.gif (But you don't know that until the third book, or maybe the second.)

Funny thing is, I've already decided the endings. :P I always seem to make my endings before events in my plots. I already know how Face is gonna end, I know how "Realizer" is gonna end. (see spoiler) I've also named the "sequels," though the third one may change. Second one is called "Loner," and it's basically about how the girl finds out the Council's plot to destroy humanity, and ultimately realizes that she can't be with the one she loves. However, the book ends with the boy overcoming "realizing" and falls in love with her. The third and final one is called "Lover" (Title may change) and is about how the boy tries to find the girl in the EVIL COUNCIL OF DOOM'S SUPER SECRET LAIR MEETING PLACE and learns about the past and how "realizing" came to be. Jessica and Kai are main characters in this one, and they also learn about the past, and somehow "realizing" gets taken away from them and they remain in love. This results with the Council finding them and Kai dying..

Yeah... What do you guys think?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users