Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:39 PM

I don't see this being much of a discussion, so I'm putting the topic here.

I'm almost done with Final Fantasy III for DS. It took me (so far) a little over a day. Not a whole lot of side quests, and those weren't too difficult, either. Not with my Geomancer and Dark Knight, anyway. At any rate, I found a few interesting/cool/funny things within the game:

- When you acquire Summon spells, the magic isn't called the summon's name - for example, Chocobo's is called "Escape", Odin's is "Catastro", etc. Leviathan was too long and is called "Leviath". Bahamut's, for some reason (a typo?) is called "Bahamur", which makes me laugh. I have to say it out loud in a pronouncing voice everytime I cast it: "BAHAMUR!"

- The first airship that is technically "yours" (you borrow one before this one) is called the Enterprise. I thought that was pretty cool.

- There's an entire town made up of Bards and Geomancers. When you talk to Bards, they play music and sing a song. Most of them play the same music, just different lyrics. One of the Bards, however, plays the chocobo music and just sings "Choco choco chocobo" over and over again. One of them played the music that you get when you get an item, and I thought, "Sweet, I got something!", but he just sang "This is the music for when you get an iteeeeeeeeeeeem!" Pissed me off.

There's more, but I can't remember them.

#2 Eponine

Eponine

wtfbsct

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

Sweet about the item song. XD.gif

#3 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:07 PM

I never got around to even getting past the flying tree castle XD.gif

#4 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 19 August 2007 - 11:34 PM

How long would you say the game is? From what I'm hearing you say, it's really short. Or did you just happen to play it alot today? I was skeptical about getting this one, because of mixed reviews and such. But I should definately check it out.

Edited by Haku, 19 August 2007 - 11:34 PM.

#5 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

There aren't as many side quests as I would've liked, but remember, this is Final Fantasy III - way before any of the newer ones that last months on end. I was pretty much playing nonstop, because there wasn't much to do at Grandma's. XD.gif

Technically, there's a secret dungeon, but I need someone else to have the game so that I can send mail via WiFi, so... of course I recommend it. XD.gif (again)

It's definitely worth getting, in my opinion. Your four characters can be any of 22 jobs (not including the Onion Knight, which is obtained after the secret dungeon), each with their own strengths. Most of the jobs are really cool. The further you progress, the more jobs you get, and you can try them out at your leisure. You also have Job Levels, much like in FF Tactics. The higher the job level, the more your stats increase when you level up. Your highest Job Level is 99, as is your Character Level. The plot is really cool, with a few twists and turns in it. Talking to NPCs actually gives you hints and further plot explanations (usually), which is a very nice addition to the game.

The one thing that I don't really care for in the game is the fact that if you switch jobs, it takes you anywhere from 2-10 battles to "get used to" the job. Until then, your stats take a bit of a hit. It's not terrible, but it's annoying.

So yeah, I'd say get it. I trained a bit more at the beginning to stay a step ahead of the enemies, so that probably helped me blow through it. Any questions, just ask.
:)

#6 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,266 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:23 AM

I have had it since Christmas...but have barely touched it because I have been so busy with other games. And I am moving this for the hell of it, we need alot more out in the other places.

#7 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:43 AM

Okay.

Oh, and if you want to know how I compare this to the others I've played, I'd put this right below VI, which happens to be my favorite. So yeah, this game is quite good.

A couple of tips for those looking to play it at some point:
- Either raise a Thief or buy a bunch of Magic Keys. Thieves are wimps, so I went with the other option. They can steal, sure, but they don't really steal anything all that great.
- Always have someone who can cast Lv. 2 White Magic. Always. You'll find out why.
- When you want to switch job classes, only switch ONE character at a time - that way that one is the only one with subpar stats for a few battles. Once that person's ready, then switch another one if you want.
- Black Mages can equip bows. Use this to your advantage, since bows are quite powerful in this game, but there IS an arrow count, so make sure you stock up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users