• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Bromst

Bromst

Just Another Ripple

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:01 PM

Any of you ever listen to music to help your concentration? I know a bunch of people who play classical music to study, and they claim that it actually helps them.

Some studies show that listening to music you like might actually decrease your productivity, but blah. Personally I enjoy listening to some Jazz or instrumental/atmospheric music.

Decided to try out with some Drone, but I think that it is destroying my ability to think moreso than helping to concentrate. Blah, comment.

Edited by Bromst, 10 September 2012 - 11:02 PM.

#2 zezhyrule

zezhyrule

This is good, isn't it?

• Members
  • 273 posts
  • 3DS:4815-1623-4296
  • PSN:zezhyrule
  • Steam:zezhyrule

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

If I listen to classical music at all, I'm either actively focusing solely on it, or not at all. If I wanted something to just play in the background while I'm working on something else, I would get music that's more... incredibly simple. Like most popular music for instance :3

#3 Bromst

Bromst

Just Another Ripple

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

True, I usually look for simpler stuff, but usually for me it is about how smooth it is; transitions that are not abrupt or sounds that sort of go with the general sound (no surprises) tend to work better since they don't call my attention as much. On the other hand, pop and dance music seems to be a little too happy and bubbly not to call my attention; not saying I dislike it because I don't, but yeah. Obviously this is only my opinion.

#4 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

yeah, i'm all about Drone, Soundscape, Ambient and the likes for studying, reading, and sleeping. i have some awesome new age guitar that's super peaceful, and Kaki King is really nice too. really quiet, washy Shoegaze like My Bloody Valentine is also great at being totally inobtrusive.

#5 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

When I'm doing something like stats or calc homework, I usually listen to something I've heard a million times but that's also heavy. When I'm doing something like reading or studying, I usually put on Explosions in the Sky or Pelican, just something instrumental.

#6 Ego

Ego

Super-Psychic

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • 3DS:3652-1929-9711
  • Steam:hornheado
  • XBox Live:hornheado

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

I don't have any real discernable patterns - while I work I listen to whatever, which could be pop, rock, electronica, or most commonly video game music, just having the music helps me focus. I suppose if I were to call out something specific, trance is great to work to - the Vocal Trance Is Life podcasts are great cuz they're each just 2 hours of good organized trance. Just set it and go. It's also pretty nice on the transitions aspect because they've all been mixed together, the solid two hours doesn't have any noticeable gaps.

#7 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

It's been a while since I've had to focus on something that much; most of the time, it's arranging music, and I need to listen to the music I'm arranging so that I can get it correct (I like transcribing).

During some collegiate studies, though, I mostly listened to David Arkenstone. It's just awesome. I can't listen to music with words (or else I pay attention to them), so Arkenstone's music really helps. (I liked him even before he started composing WoW stuff).

#8 Bromst

Bromst

Just Another Ripple

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

yeah, i'm all about Drone, Soundscape, Ambient and the likes for studying, reading, and sleeping. i have some awesome new age guitar that's super peaceful, and Kaki King is really nice too. really quiet, washy Shoegaze like My Bloody Valentine is also great at being totally inobtrusive.

You definitely have to send me the name of those New Age bros!

I don't have any real discernable patterns - while I work I listen to whatever, which could be pop, rock, electronica, or most commonly video game music, just having the music helps me focus. I suppose if I were to call out something specific, trance is great to work to - the Vocal Trance Is Life podcasts are great cuz they're each just 2 hours of good organized trance. Just set it and go. It's also pretty nice on the transitions aspect because they've all been mixed together, the solid two hours doesn't have any noticeable gaps.

Definitely need to check out that podcasts as well; is it possible to download the playlists they play?

#9 Ego

Ego

Super-Psychic

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • 3DS:3652-1929-9711
  • Steam:hornheado
  • XBox Live:hornheado

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:29 PM

Yup, they list the whole thing on each post for easy reference!
http://www.tranceislife.com/

#10 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:46 PM

During some collegiate studies, though, I mostly listened to David Arkenstone. It's just awesome.

Seconded.
Though, I'm pretty much able to listen to anything and still concentrate as long as I know the music well enough. I have a harder time concentrating when I'm listening to something I'm not used to.

#11 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:15 AM

You definitely have to send me the name of those New Age bros!

Andy McKee and Pino Forastiere are the two i listen to a lot, but there were a couple similar artists on the /mu/ list off which i got their names. i'd link you to it, but it appears the blog is now invite only... how saddening.

and here's a link to get you started!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users