Photo

New DS redesign in the works

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

http://www.gamespot....estnews;title;0

I'll just have to wait and see if it's worth the upgrade. On-board memory sounds really good, though I'll miss the GBA slots, especially considering I'm just now getting into the Fire Emblem games on the GBA. Though on-board memory is definately a good thing. Just think of the possibilities. Downloading Virtual Console games from your Wii onto your DS for some on-the-go Super Metroid awesomeness. :D

#2 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:01 PM

Oooh, I like the sound of that.

#3 Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:49 PM

Jesus, Nintendo redesigns things more then Mcdonalds. I see Nintendo is taking Sony's Approach in taking out Backwards Compatibility. Sony's ps3, now Nintendo's DS. The on board memory might be a good thing, although i doubt it will be enough for any VC games. Bigger screens is cool.

#4 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 14 November 2007 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE (Sylar @ Nov 14 2007, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jesus, Nintendo redesigns things more then Mcdonalds. I see Nintendo is taking Sony's Approach in taking out Backwards Compatibility. Sony's ps3, now Nintendo's DS. The on board memory might be a good thing, although i doubt it will be enough for any VC games. Bigger screens is cool.

The Wii only has 512 MB of flash memory, yet it can hold several VC games. The truth is, the files for the games available on the VC aren't that big, so even a tiny bit of on-board memory could hold quite a few VC games. I'm hoping for at least a gig or two of on-board memory, possibly having as a SD slot as well. Whether that is in the final product, I could not tell you. We'll just have to hope and wait.

#5 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

Oh man... that would mean that I could play Super Mario RPG anywhere I want...

Drool.gif

#6 Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (Haku @ Nov 14 2007, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Wii only has 512 MB of flash memory, yet it can hold several VC games. The truth is, the files for the games available on the VC aren't that big, so even a tiny bit of on-board memory could hold quite a few VC games. I'm hoping for at least a gig or two of on-board memory, possibly having as a SD slot as well. Whether that is in the final product, I could not tell you. We'll just have to hope and wait.

It's Nintendo, they will end up screwing it up.

#7 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:31 PM

You may be on the wrong forum, considering this is a Zelda forum, which is a Nintendo series (in case you didn't know).

But I digress.

I haven't had many complaints about Nintendo. I think this is gonna be great - they know what they're doing.

#8 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:35 PM

Ehh... I would rather Nintendo work on new hardware than revamp the old stuff.

#9 Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (Linkmaster30000 @ Nov 14 2007, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You may be on the wrong forum, considering this is a Zelda forum, which is a Nintendo series (in case you didn't know).

But I digress.

I haven't had many complaints about Nintendo. I think this is gonna be great - they know what they're doing.

Don't worry LM3K, i know ;)

I've been to many Zelda Related forums.

Nintendo just likes to screw things up.

Ehh... I would rather Nintendo work on new hardware than revamp the old stuff.

Again, it's Nintendo, they remake their handhelds 50 times.

Edited by Sylar, 14 November 2007 - 11:41 PM.

#10 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:44 PM

Sylar, you have such a strong opinion on this- would you mind sharing why you think Nintendo would screw this up? I'm sorry, I thought Nintendo had far more hits than misses, but I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

It's not a baseless opinion, right?

#11 Sabrage

Sabrage

Fresh Prince of Dead Air

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  • XBox Live:Sabrage

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:49 PM

Not to mention the DS and DS Lite, and the Game and Watch series.
That's customer abuse.

#12 Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (mdonut281 @ Nov 14 2007, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sylar, you have such a strong opinion on this- would you mind sharing why you think Nintendo would screw this up? I'm sorry, I thought Nintendo had far more hits than misses, but I'd like to hear your opinion as well.

It's not a baseless opinion, right?

Nintendo has made it's fair number of screw ups.

- Redesigning all their handhelds every year.
- Making it so you can't save games normally to an SD card, you have to move them manually.
- Something about not being able to move certain files back to your Wii from your sd card.
- Friend Codes
- Making the internal Memory of the Wii so damn small, it will run out sooner then later.

My opinions are never baseless.

#13 mdonut281

mdonut281

The more it tells, the less you know.

• Members
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:16 AM

So how do you propose that Nintendo is screwing up now? this applies to Sabrage's post with the slew of handhelds from Nintendo.

So they make a redesign. So what? They're not the first company to do so repeatedly, nor the last. Aside from Sony, how about Apple, anyone?

It's much like how Microsoft and Sony are offering two [or more] different versions of their consoles. The DS is able to stand on its own two feet now, so backwards compatibility might not be a problem due to its ever growing library. On-board memory, in my opinion, is serving to close that empty hole, as you can indeed play several VC games with the aforementioned 512. The redesign is a welcome one, to me. Sure, it's desirable, but I already have a DS Lite.

Just because Nintendo [and other companies] make yearly redesigns and such doesn't mean it's a bad thing, nor does it mean they're abusing their customers.

#14 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:30 AM

- Redesigning all their handhelds every year.

This is a smart marketing decision. Just like computers. "Mine is old and outdated. Hey, look - a new one with more features! Who cares if it costs more than my car?" They do this with everything - phones, TVs, video games, etc. I would hardly call this a mistake, particularly when everyone is doing it.

- Making it so you can't save games normally to an SD card, you have to move them manually.
- Something about not being able to move certain files back to your Wii from your sd card.

Haven't had much experience with the Wii, but I've had no problems with using the hard drive so far.

- Friend Codes

What's wrong with these? They've been fantastic whenever I've used them on my DS.

- Making the internal Memory of the Wii so damn small, it will run out sooner then later.

So do lots of things. Like the X-Box for example - that had a hard drive that ran out if you have lots of stuff on it. That's what the cards are for, but they run out, too. I hardly see that as a basis for screwing up any more than Microsoft or Sony.

Just my opinion - not trying to sound crazy or anything.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 15 November 2007 - 12:41 AM.

#15 Sylar

Sylar

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

This is a smart marketing decision. Just like computers. "Mine is old and outdated. Hey, look - a new one with more features! Who cares if it costs more than my car?" They do this with everything - phones, TVs, video games, etc. I would hardly call this a mistake, particularly when everyone is doing it.

Except they never really change anything but the look, and maybe adding a brighter light and a way to control the light.

Haven't had much experience with the Wii, but I've had no problems with using the hard drive so far.

They put in an SD card slot, but make it so you can't choose to save games to it as a normal option.

What's wrong with these? They've been fantastic whenever I've used them on my DS.

Friend Codes are (Insert non-lame word here, SW D:<<<), complete (Insert non-lame word here, SW D:<<<). They are stupid. For an company that is trying to get away from it's "kiddy" image, it sure is hard at doing that when they design their online system and cater to kids so the kids won't get raped and molested by all the pedo's who apparently play their DS's and Wii's online. Woo, a 12 Digit number, If you're adding 5 people to your friend's list, that's atleast 50 numbers you have to put in, thats insane.

So do lots of things. Like the X-Box for example - that had a hard drive that ran out if you have lots of stuff on it. That's what the cards are for, but they run out, too. I hardly see that as a basis for screwing up any more than Microsoft or Sony

The xbox had a pretty good size harddrive. The ps3 has a good size one too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users