Ego

Super-Psychic

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • 3DS:3652-1929-9711
  • Steam:hornheado
  • XBox Live:hornheado

Posted 22 October 2016 - 11:21 AM

So it's out there now. What do you think of it?

I'm actually fairly excited. It doesn't look as gimmicky as I feared it might. There's a traditional controller. It's learned to do the Gamepad thing without always forcing you to do the Gamepad thing. It appears to have completely abandoned motion control to reach portability, and I approve of that choice (not to disparage the Wii, but the space has been pretty much completely explored until we hit another technological advance). Where before Nintendo was trying to avoid competing with "hardcore" consoles with gimmicks, it's doubling down on its sole control of the handheld market, while simultaneously appearing to avoid the gimmick wave of VR. I should note that I don't mean "gimmick" in a bad way or anything.

It has challenges though. While doubling down on the portability side distances it from the PS4 and XBOne, it exposes it to the much more dangerous tablet market. Tablets are around the price point we usually expect for a Nintendo console, but have all the other uses that I hope the Switch will be able to accommodate too. The biggest trouble is that traditional console games cost WAY too much for the typical mobile gamer. Nintendo will need a compromising price point to hit mobile gamers, but also will be expected by the traditional gamers to maintain their exceptional standard of product. It also would render third-party compatibility low again as a $60 PS4 game would need to be sold cheaper on the Switch to sell as well. That said, with so many developers dipping a toe into mobile gaming (and I expect mobile developers want to expose their games to a full gaming audience too), the Switch would provide an interesting opportunity to be something many developers ALSO use.

Another challenge is god, that frame rate on the mobile use looked iffy. And if it's noticeably iffy in the promo video, you know it's worse in real life. The difficulties of putting AAA console games on a tablet...

Also, did you catch that there's no mention of if that screen's a touchscreen? And no footage revealing it either. With the current approach, they're damned if they don't (since using it docked will prohibit full functionality) or damned if they do (since it's a failure of a tablet without one). Best case I can see is if it's just not used for games intended for console use.

I'm curious about battery life, but that's a slightly more minor concern. I hope it accepts charging by standard micro-USB though and not some proprietary mess.

Also, regarding the name. I think I like it? NX was never sustainable - while the Revolution was better than the Wii, and anything (even Cafe) was better than the Wii U, NX had no staying power, and Switch does. Bit of a weird choice SEO-wise, but sure. Switch rolls off the tongue, and I can easily imagine it in conversation.

#4 Hanz

Hanz

Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 23 October 2016 - 02:51 PM

I am into it....I really like not having to be stationary when playing which is why I play 90% on my 3DS. This seems right up my alley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users