3 replies to this topic

#1 Frau

Frau

???

• Chill Bro
  • 1,332 posts
  • XBox Live:Gen TastyCakes

Posted 27 May 2008 - 01:29 AM

Ok, I know it's almost June but we never had one of these, so I'll post them up.

All I can think of right now is Album, Game and Movie, so feel free to add more. Could do books too, but I don't really read any modern books.

Mine:

Album of the Year: In Defense of the Genre by Say Anything. Why?
Say Anything is a six piece indie rock band straight out of LA. Max Bemis, the bipolar front-man, is probably one of my favorite lyricists ever. Their previous album ...Is a Real Boy and the re-release ...Was a Real Boy showed only a little of what the band is actually capable. Bemis' lyrics coupled with his voice and the surprisingly good musicianship of the band makes for a very unique experience. Being self-diagnosed with music ADD, I can barely listen to a full CD, let alone this 27 song, double disc monstrosity, but that's the thing. I can listen to this full album through and through and not get bored. The lyrics are so blunt and straightforward that often they end up being humorous. For example, "Trapped between the Bush kids on a plane/is a fraction of how lame..." All the songs sound different. Say Anything is very far from the mostly bland genre that they crawled out of. Take it from me, KG's king of emo, Say Anything is a real treat in such a dull genre. I even admit that most the bands I listen to aren't very musically talented, I listen to music for lyrics and vocals, but Say Anything has me impressed. Hands down my favorite record of 2007.

Game of the Year: Two-way tie between World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade and Assassin's Creed.
Burning Crusade just because it's so addicting and I still haven't gotten to everything in it. My guild is barely ready to start the tier five, twenty-five man raids. Assassin's Creed was something I was looking forward to since I saw the PS3 trailer at E3 a few years ago. I didn't go to E3, dur, I saw it on G4. Anyway, it's a genuinely fun game and I really don't get tired of the sand box aspect. I like to run around and just kill guards for a while to blow off steam. I still play it some times, for funsies.

Movie of the Year: Three Way Tie, Superbad, Juno and Knocked Up.
What can I say? I'm a sucker for the stupid comedies. As far as Superbad and Knocked Up go, Judd Apatow has a way with his films. They are the typical A little short for a Stormtroopered and gross comedy, but they have heart. They're not just there for stupid entertainment, they actually have nice messages underneath all the boobs and profanity. And Juno is just the most effing adorable movie ever. Period.

#2 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:35 AM

ALBUM: Humanity: Hour I - Scorpions
It's been a long time since the Scorpions have rocked this hard - probably not since Face The Heat in 1993. Their Unbreakable album in 2004 was also around this kind of dark, heavy metal that they used to be famous for. With this album, they have created statements about life, from the beginning of it until the end. A lot of it is very pessimistic, but it makes for some great songs. I can't wait until their next album (this year, maybe?)

MOVIE: Shrek the Third
Admittedly, I've watched a total of three movies from this year - this, The Simpsons (which was also pretty darn funny, but had some stuff in it that I found disturbing), and the second National Treasure (which I found lackluster, though still pretty good). But this movie topped them. How could it not, with Snow White singing Led Zeppelin's "Immigrant Song"? There's more that I like, too, but that's my favorite part (besides the boat noises censoring Puss' "You are royally *TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT*.")

GAME: Pokémon Diamond
I really can't think of any other game I played last year that can match up to the amount of fun I've had playing this, and the amount of time I've spent playing this (particularly when I'm replaying it now). Phantom Hourglass and Super Paper Mario come in third and second, respectively. PH was great, but I can't bring myself to play it again. Not sure why. SPM was fantastic, but it doesn't quite match up to the fun and time I had playing Diamond.

#3 Lil Rez

Lil Rez

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:42 PM

The best album of 2007 was for me, hands down, Chris Potter's Follow the Red Line. That album was something that from the first time I listened to it, it had me completely overwhelmed. If I could, I'd erase all memories of that music from my brain, just so I can experience hearing it for the first time over and over, because it's that incredible.

My favorite movie of 2007 was tougher. I didn't see many movies last year. Hot Fuzz, maybe?

Game: I don't buy new video games. Sad isn't it?

#4 BLURR

BLURR

Mew is the best pokemon evar!

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

A bit late to be doing this? No? Let's see what I can recollect from last year...

Best Album: In Rainbows by Radiohead. I consider it a 2007 album because most people listened to it when Radiohead released it onto the internet months before it was released in stores in January 2008. So, nuts to the people who say it was released in 2008. Great album though. Personal favorites are "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" and "Nude".

Best Movie: Err... Either Blades of Glory or Juno. I'll say Blades of Glory.

Best Game: Super Mario Galaxy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users