Photo

The KG Box

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

Poll: Read the post first

Would you be interested?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If yes / undecided: What operating system(s) are you running?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If this is implemented with Java, are you willing to install the Java Virtiual Machine?

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:41 PM

Preamble:

Over the past few months; working behind the scenes in a top secret facility, a handful of KG members have been working hard at producing new media content for everyone here. After giving some thought to the matters of how this new content would be distributed, a proposal was passed between these members. This proposal has been running under the code name "The KG Box" - its name derived from the ever so awesome Orange Box. I shall explain to everyone what The KG Box is in a moment; however, it is necessary to explain why we were thinking about a different method of distribution in the first place.

The Reason:

Ever since the Art Forum was created (as far as I know); we have been posting periodic content in there with the hopes that everyone would enjoy it. Unfortunately, due to the nature of KG, we rarely ever stepped out of the Asylum; which often worried other members from the lack of page views. Thus the Asylumvertising movement created, as well as another small movement LM pushed way back in KG1.

Another problem, and I may or may not be alone on this, is that when someone posts a new work, each work ends up being partitioned by a series of critiques, comments, and fan raving (MOAR MOAR!). Trust me, we appreciate your comments, and hope for more in the future; however I've found this current issue with "partitioning" somewhat annoying when trying to find a specific chapter/where I left off.

There were additional little things that floated about too, such as methods of trying to maintain a proper update schedule.

The Proposal:

Originally, the proposed solution was to gather all of the content submitted from participating authors and pace the installments out on the forum in regular intervals, like a bi-weekly e-zine. It was also proposed to release this content in a PDF; however, as a rather conservative member pointed out, they demanded that the content also be released in a "loose-leaf format", meaning it's all archived in a zip folder. Inevitably, this meant that we'd have to create several archived versions to distribute to KG to accommodate for different archive programs. Therefore, this solution may not be the best.

The New Proposal:

During this semester, I've been taking courses that centered around GUIs (graphical user interfaces), and more key things for my upcoming career. As a result, I'm feeling a little more confident in my abilities to create a pretty snazzy application.

Therefore, before embarking on this new idea, I'd like to know if you are interested in this project. I'll also be very interested in hearing your input on the matter as well.

The new proposal is this: I will attempt to assemble a "digital press", which will distribute content like Steam. Basically, the content will be available only to KG members, and will keep track of any new content submitted by anyone from KG. Comics and written fictions, for example, can have a snazzy little reader; and music (like ST34MPUNK) could be played through some media player.

Keep in mind that anything submitted to the KG Box is not restricted to only the box. This isn't a binding contract - just a snazzy way of distributing our work to other members.

An additional pro to this solution is the possibility of offline content - should KG or the internet explode; if you've chosen to download the material, you can view the downloaded content at any time. This is great for laptops, where wireless isn't always available.

Member/fan comments will still happen on the forum - the KG Box will just be an improved method of distributing our work for our viewer's delight.

Comments? Suggestions? Support?

Edited by Dark Phantom, 19 July 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#2 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:48 PM

You know, I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure it's really needed. After all, most members (if not all) do visit the other forums, particularly when there's something new (and often Asylumvertised, which I think Donut actually started - I just came up with the name, haha). I know I do, and everybody that's read the Dreamer or my comic or seen anything else in the Art Forum has done so as well.

Might just be my take on the situation, though.

EDIT: Also, apparently I'm not allowed to vote, but I don't know why.

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 18 July 2008 - 08:51 PM.

#3 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

This is why I'm running this survey before taking on something ambitious, LM.

While I agree that viewership of the art forum has increased considerably, there are other issues that I addressed that can be improved by implementing this solution.

@ the person that voted "Java wha-da-wah?" The Java Virtual Machine is an application that emulates an imaginary computer - thus allowing programmers to create a program and compile it only once - after that it will work on any computer with the JVM installed on it. Many web sites use Java on their pages - chances are, you already have the JVM installed.

Edit: what's it doing?

Edited by Dark Phantom, 18 July 2008 - 08:58 PM.

#4 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

You did not choose a poll choice to vote against. Please go back and ensure you click on one of the radio buttons next to the choice you wish to vote for

That's what it said. I don't understand it, but whatever. I'll just post my answers.

I probably will not partake in the creation, mostly because I'm posting my work on 3 different sites, so there wouldn't be much point to having this forum (where most of my readers are) wait while the other two forums get to see it, and it wouldn't be fair for the other two forums to wait until KG Box comes out.

As for Java, I was gonna vote that last one, but now that you explained it, I kinda sorta understand it. I'm not much into programming stuff, so I don't really know what it does, but I probably have it.

#5 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

Ah, that was something I was thinking about. I didn't post my thoughts on it because I didn't want to go too deep on the implementation of the project.

What I was planning on doing with the application is - instead of passing everything out bi-weekly, like we were planning in the original proposal, you could post your content for KG on a data server that I've set up. (when I say data server, you can picture something like photobucket). From there, you can set up an automated release schedule, or have it released immediately - and from there, everyone with the client will be notified that you've released a new installment (or will be told later if you've chosen an automated schedule).

So, you could still do a weekly schedule and operate the same.

~shrugs~

#6 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

It seems like a lot more work than copy-paste... I dunno. I'll support it, but like I said, I doubt I'll help the creation. Smile.gif

#7 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

Wow these 3 way ties should make the answer OBVIOUS XD.gif

#8 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:24 PM

Oh, haha, I was planning on building the program myself, all I expected of everyone else was their input. I'm making a "product" for KG - you guys are my clients.

After the product is built, it'd be as simple as logging into photobucket and clicking upload.

@SW: XD.gif yeah

Edited by Dark Phantom, 18 July 2008 - 10:24 PM.

#9 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 18 July 2008 - 10:56 PM

Sounds like fun, and I'd probably be able to help with the coding if you wanted/needed it. As for contributing to the actual content... depends on how lazy I am at the time. Espeially considering I tend to do nothing if I don't have a deadline.

I'd assume most people have the JVM already without realizing it, but...
Why Java?

#10 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:21 PM

Though the decision to determine which language to use at the moment may seem a little premature, I believe that not everyone on this forum uses Windows XP. Therefore, we will most likely need to build this application so it can be used across other platforms. That is the assumption. Because I'm not very familiar with other cross-platform languages, Java was the first thing that came to mind.

I'd be happy to accept your help Phaeon.

You know what'd be really cool? if we could make a fire-fox extension out of it, haha.

#11 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 18 July 2008 - 11:52 PM

That'd be cool...
Do you know how to?

Also, in terms of content... would we need some kind of server to store/host these things on?

#12 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 12:02 AM

I don't know how to make it an extension at the moment; however the internet is full of information.

As for the second point, yes, we would need a server. I've got a small domain that's waiting to be launched, so we don't have to worry too much at the moment about that.

For now, I'd like to collect from the members what they would like to see coming out of this product, if there's anything above and beyond what I've already listed.

#13 Mega Grumpig

Mega Grumpig

• Members
  • 2,451 posts
  • 3DS:2895-6825-5073
  • Steam:sczombie

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:39 PM

God damn I'm the only one of the forum who puts up with Vista... but I forgot to check off XP because the trusty laptop runs XP

#14 Cpt Axle

Cpt Axle

TOP HAT FALCON PUNCH!

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hmm, if I remember correctly, HoT was the only other one that confirmed that she ran Vista... maybe LM too?

It appears, however, that the majority still uses windows XP. It is also apparent that the majority is undecided, haha. I'm guessing I'll have to give a better presentation of what I'm aiming for in the final production...

Something like this, but for KG stuff.

I don't think there'd be a need for a chat client or group pages though, hahaha.

#15 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

HECK NO I have XP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic