#16 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

Well, I read quickly and am still on winter break, so that's probably how. I've basically just been reading manga the past couple days. I really enjoy reading a lot of chapters at one time - it seems a lot more fulfilling than just reading one and waiting.

Speaking of...

Minami-Ke: I'd watched the first season or so, and in looking for something to read, I decided to read this. It was amusing, but not nearly as good as Azumanga, which is kind of the same category. Still, I did enjoy reading it as far as they have translated.

Gintama: Is awesome, if a bit strange. I've only read the first 100 chapters so far, though, so I've yet to catch up to wherever I left off in the anime. I'll probably get up to current today or tomorrow, depending on if I decide to actually do something today.

#17 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

2012 in manga/anime. Here. we. go.

Hayate no Gotoku 1-50something
Pretty cool. Not the biggest fan of the art but at least it's not terrible. I'm up to the Titanic part I guess.

Liar Game 144
And Nao is a complete idiot once again, but at least she shows some cunning this time. The hidden trap by the two Samue followers has probably got something to do with the bidding on the change lots. We'll see.

The World God Only Knows 172
AWESOMEEEEEE...To me at least. I really liked that the somewhat insane attempts to win over Ayumi didn't work this time, where they usually always magically do. I also really liked the little part between Katsuragi and Chihiro...I don't know maybe I just like my 'romance' parts a little bit more realistic like that. Can't wait to see what's next.

St&rs
I like the art but this is just soooo dumb IMHO...

No weeklies yet so that's all for now I guess.

#18 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:32 PM

MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT WILL PIERCE THE HEAVENS, I WILL NEVER GIVE UP! (MORE TOPIC ACTIVITY GOOOOOOOOOOO)

Important 3 (according to some)

Naruto
What? I don't even...

Bleach
I now officially 'read' this only for the art.

Fairy Tail
Way too predictable and cliché. It's ok I guess.

Others

Kagami no Kuni no Harisugawa
So this meltdown happened... Ratings were shit and first volume sales disappointed...

To give some of you some insight into the real reason the author just brick walled the series though; Jump (the magazine this series got published in) allows an author 3 chances total until you get banned from publishing in it. If Jump cancels the series you lose a chance, and the author, (Kano Yasuhiro) has already wasted two opportunities since two of his prior series already got cancelled. Since Jump is basically 'the' magazine for shonen manga in Japan, losing your final opportunity and never being able to publish in Jump ever again is a big blow. That's why he decided to stop the series fast, before even Jump could cancel it. Though how he thinks he is going to be able to finally create a lasting series after this that doesn't get cancelled and is actually popular is beyond me, considering his track record. (I think Mx0 got cancelled too, but not too sure on that.)

Anyway, it ended kind of stupidly. The last chapter title is 'Restart' which basically says it all...None of the stuff that happened mattered at all...sigh...Needs to do more, I like his art.

Air Gear
I wish physics worked this way, I really do. God this man has style sometimes.

Negima
Alright...so a meltdown happened here as well. What the hell. All of a sudden the manga ends in like 3 chapters? The anime ended at the end of the magical world arc and I'm starting to think that was the right way to go. Akamatsu seems unable to decide what he wants. All of the stuff after that arc has been of filler quality. Plus, it seems my biggest question as of yet goes unanswered: Why the hell is Nagi the Mage of the Beginning? It seemed Negi and just about everybody had some great realization that I missed.

Plus a 130-year or something timeskip which is insane... I really liked the latest chapter with the 'adult' class speaking to Asuna via video though. Wish he had just drawn the characters in full instead of vague, intentionally blurry photographs...

Denpa Kyoushi
Pretty funny 'superman teacher' manga, as long as you don't think about it too much.

The World God Only Knows
Those eyeball dudes look creepy. CONQUER HERRRR.

I've probably forgotten loads but I'll post them if I remember them later.

#19 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:59 PM

Keeping my word about activity! I know! It's like Superman resisting kryptonite!

Liar Game (up till newest/149)
Holy crap Akiyama is the single greatest thing ever. Not only reading his opponent perfectly after the first try, but also using his 'advantage' against him and completely turning the tables. Harimoto has no chance but to admit his bluff, I think. He can't leave his group unsupervised since ponytail-girl is thinking about joining the good guys, and leaving for the rest of the game now would mean he has no more chances to bid on lots. Which would basically render him vulnerable to losing/becoming the pig. He could always stab his team in the back though, but considering the advantage he'd be giving away by doing that there's no way that is going to be his course of action right now... Looking forward to more.

The World God Only Knows (187.5)
Uh ok. Waiting for the real chapters.

The Town Where You RAGE (maybe Live)/Kimi No Iru Machi (171)
Yes I've been reading this for a while now. No I'm not proud of it. But I laugh at the stupidity of it all. Constantly.

Iris Zero (up till newest/27)
Completely unrelated to the quality of the manga but the little mangaka notes are pretty great every time. Very sincere.

I like the character design...I like the premise...I like the story, though cliché...I like a whole lot. Maybe not the naiveness and detective part of the story though. Oh well. Glad the superpowers aren't like "My iris makes fire!" and "Mine makes ice!" . All of them seem unique in their own way.

Cage of Eden/Eden no Ori (138)
Build a raft to Japan...How naive can you get. They leave their supersecure base and reinforced defenses behind to chase hopes and dreams on a few fucking logs in the middle of the Pacific Ocean? Are they insane? If they don't get eaten on the way there, considering they are in the middle of the stupid island, how do they think to avoid a colony of GIANT DINOSAUR WHALES? I did laugh at the argument for that though: "You won't know if you never try" So who's up to get torn to shreds by a bloodthristy monster just to prove a point? XD

Super Dragon Bros. Z (1)
Kill me now.

I might've already mentioned it Phaeon, but as of now I'm on like chapter 30 of Hayate no Goku and thinking I'll continue. It's good. But long. XD

And I read like 1 chapter of Yostuba. Man I suck.

#20 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

I got kind of distracted (Disgaea 4 >_>;), but I'm still keeping up on Fairy Tail and Harisugawa. Or at least, I was keeping up on Harisugawa before it stopped. I would be reading Hayate too, but it's been on break and isn't coming back until later this week, so I couldn't.

I bought the first 9 Suzumiya Haruhi books a while back, but I hadn't gotten around to reading them. I'm planning to fix that though. Sometime.

I'm not current with Negima right now, but it sounds like I'll be disappointed by the ending...

Edited by Phaeon, 26 February 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#21 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Dredging this up from the depths once again!

I got kind of distracted (Disgaea 4 >_>;), but I'm still keeping up on Fairy Tail and Harisugawa. Or at least, I was keeping up on Harisugawa before it stopped. I would be reading Hayate too, but it's been on break and isn't coming back until later this week, so I couldn't.

I bought the first 9 Suzumiya Haruhi books a while back, but I hadn't gotten around to reading them. I'm planning to fix that though. Sometime.

I'm not current with Negima right now, but it sounds like I'll be disappointed by the ending...

Good luck with Haruhi. The internet has made me hate anything to do with that series. Hope it's great though.

Negima ended a while ago. Wow. 8 (?) years of reading, and kind of 'investing' in certain characters (Ako, you are fantastic), and it's over, just like that. A tea party with.... not even everybody, and Nagi who for no apparent reason escaped his neverexplained maybe-horrible-maybe-not fate of being the mage of the beginning. Or not? Wasn't the mage of the beginning that weird pale dude with horns? Never saw him again. Thought Akamatsu would at least resolve this tiny "who is the girl Negi likes?!" arc he set up, but he doesn't even manage to do that. (he very very vaguely alludes to Yue...but nothing happens) There's a little epilogue with what feels like random little stories about the students, but I don't care much for it.

I guess the entire manga kind of lost steam after Fate decided to become a good guy...right before that was one of my favorite panels (top one) in the manga to date though, so that's cool but after that it felt really random and dumb. I honestly believed Akamatsu was one of the few mangaka that could do good endings, since the ending to Love Hina was pretty fantastic IMO, but this has proven the opposite.

No Chamo at the end either. For shame.

Bleach
Reads like a doujinshi of the past chapters. Atrocious.

Naruto
Ex aequo

Fairy Tail
I like the tournament, kind of. Don't see the logic behind letting the two dudes with motion sickness participate in the moving vehicles event...but...

Liar Game (Up to 152)
Fantastic. Simply amazing. I really thought it was going to start to suck once the author returned from his LOOOOOOOOONG hiatus but it's as great as it has ever been. The part where Akiyama just starts blatantly bidding with everybody going like "WHAT THE HELL MAN!?!?" is unbe-fricken-lievably good. Wow. Can't wait for more.

It's Not My Fault That I'm Not Popular! (Up to 15)
Just read all of this recently and although I'm not a fan of slice of life, this is great. And kind of depressing. And kind of gross.

Yeah

Latest chapter was so disheartening I kind of couldn't read any more at one point. XD

The World God Only Knows (Up to 183)
Though I think Ayumi should've been a bit harsher towards him considering the circumstances, the situation is so ridiculous I frankly don't care any more. Enjoyed the "IM THE PRINCE ON THE WHITE HORSE!" entrance.

More if and when I remember about them.

#22 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Naruto
Kabuto backstory is retconned as crap. If Danzou knew him, why did he let him join Anbu? Sigh.

Bleach
Blablablaquincyblablablabankaiblabla

Fairy Tail
I liked the cocky gate key girl being destroyed like that. With few exceptions stoic characters are dumb. This was cool.

Air Gear
This man needs someone else to do his stories. Heaven knows he has the talent in the art department... (maybe a few too many convenient camera angles on skirts too..)

Can't remember much else.

Bought physical copies of manga for the first time in a long while too. We'll see if the Zelda box set is worth it.

#23 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Bakuman Vol. 1-10 and Yotsuba&! 1-3 get. I'm such a nerdy nerd.

Update on Zelda box set: Inconsistency in manga designs across volumes really annoys me. Maybe I'm just being nitpicky, but why are the table of contents for some volumes at the back? They put a tiny bit of info about the game and author in there, but in volume x it's in the back and in volume y it's at the front. Argh my OCD.

Worst part: The advertised poster is just a bigger version of one of the covers and about 1.2x as big, thanks Viz!

#24 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• 3,685 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

PHOENIX DOWN!

Got Yotsuba&! 4-10 a while ago! I have officially been converted.

I'll post my thoughts on recent releases next time I have the time!

#25 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Got Yotsuba&! 4-10 a while ago! I have officially been converted.

Good choice!

I've basically just been keeping up with Hayate... I don't have nearly as much free time as i used to, unfortunately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users