• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:52 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2...x.html?hpt=Sbin

I think this is a good idea. Kids don't need to see/hear/experience that kind of stuff. What are these parents doing?

Plus it would cause a sharp decline in the number of kids on PSN/Xbox Live :Holy Crap: we know how they can be...

#2 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

I doubt it would help all that much. At my job, I read about kids (8-12 year-olds) getting Call of Duty and Left for Dead for their birthdays or Christmas from their parents. That's what I've seen happen, anyway.

Then again, I thought that they already couldn't buy them if they weren't legal age, so I guess this is news to me...?

#3 (Insert)

(Insert)

Dr McCaptain Brackets

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

http://www.majhost.c..._1272413516.jpg

I figured this topic needed a little love from the other point of view. :P

Edited by (Insert), 27 May 2010 - 08:59 PM.

#4 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  • PSN:PM me
  • Steam:PM me
  • XBox Live:PM me

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

You know, even with the laws that bar kids from buying violent video games... the parents are a wreck and don't care. When my mother worked at Target, she said her most distinct memory of the rating system on video games was the time she told a 12 year old boy, "No, you can't buy that Grand Theft Auto game. You have to have an adult purchase it if you want it." So, the kid was like "okay," and came back with his mom who had been shopping elsewhere in the store, and the mother verbally laid into mine about how she's an "idiot" because she wouldn't sell an M-rated game to her child who she told could buy it. My mom was very: my job > breaking the law for your kid.

#5 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:17 AM

Exactly. Most parents are completely irresponsible and don't deserve to be parents. The fact that there are supposedly so many kids on Xbox Live sickens me. The 360 has a ton of gory shooters and stuff. I remember hearing one story about a 5 or 7 year old playing Resident Evil 5. He was talking about some Disney Shaq-Fu or something.

But there's always gonna be some stupid parents who'll let their kids play whatever.

Even though I'll probably never have kids, I agree with this law. I'm just slightly worried that this might open the gates for bigger bans/lawsuits/complaints.

#6 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:33 AM

Honestly, I think the law against children buying video games is redundant. Why? There are several ways to bypass the restriction; however, as citizens some of us "feel better" if we don't take a kid's money to purchase a violent video game. Honestly, I feel like the economy trumps intangible, uncontrollable, fairy tale, ethic-based laws. This law is the kind that makes absolutely no difference but is simply contrived from the desire to install an absolute ban. Just look at the people behind the uproar, i.e. Gore and Thompson. They weren't pushing simply for the ESRB rating system, but for a total ban on violent media. This is just their way of taking one flake off of the stone.

#7 TZD

TZD

making music one fiddle at a time

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

I know what you mean about selling kids M-rated games. I worked at Toys R Us last Christmas and 12 year old kids would try to buy these mature games and we said no so they get their mom and dad to buy it. And some parents dont really know what goes on in those games, especially online.

#8 (Insert)

(Insert)

Dr McCaptain Brackets

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

As a kid who grew up on violent video games like Duke Nukem and Halo, I can personally vouch that, in all reality, they're just games. But it also gets annoying when you've got a bunch of whiny kids shouting into your headset online. I guess I just matured fairly early in life, because I was nothing like that. Ever. But as for the violence and gore, it never really affected my friends and me. Other than the fact that we have really good aim with rifles and other ranged weapons. My parents, who bought me these games, are far from irresponsible, mind you.

I suppose with a little balance, the violence and gore, couple with other material, shows that there's penalties for shooting and hitting people. As opposed to Mario, which demonstrates that when you jump and land on people, they merely flatten into pancakes.

#9 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:17 PM

People are sending in broken game controllers with the words 'I believe in the first amendment' on them now.

Edited by Albert Wesker, 07 October 2010 - 07:20 PM.

#10 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:39 PM

...Really? That seems tacky to me.

Also, I can imagine the response from the courts: "Wow, this kid has anger issues if he broke his controller. He shouldn't be playing violent video games anyway."

Edited by Linkmaster30000, 07 October 2010 - 08:39 PM.

#11 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:00 PM

Yeah. It seems like a stupid response from the gamers.

#12 Valentine

Valentine

Master of... Stuff.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:05 AM

Ah, I like that kind of face-value judgement. I'm glad people think our court system would have that kind of bias toward the ordeal, too.[/sarcasm] D: I heard that justice beyotch ain't blind at all.

We've absolutely no idea how those controllers were really broken. It could be a mere symbol of how gamers are labeled on that kind of whim. Honestly, most of my controllers become broken for getting squashed in boxes or over-played... :P

#13 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:50 PM

Update

Edited by Albert Wesker, 27 June 2011 - 10:17 PM.

#14 Phaeon

Phaeon

MAGIC!

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 1,768 posts
  • 3DS:0645-5817-4033
  • PSN:Phaeon17

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

Good to hear.

Your link doesn't quite work, though.

#15 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:19 PM

I guess it was cut off because it had that comma in the URL, but the link itself still worked (at least for me). Oh well. I pasted the URL in the link box instead of just pasting the link just in case.

Edited by Albert Wesker, 27 June 2011 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users