Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:55 AM

http://news.yahoo.co...-064606594.html

A new Titanic could be sailing the high seas within a few years.

Billionaire mining magnate Clive Palmer. (AFP Photo/Tertius Pickard)Australian mining magnate Clive Palmer announced plans Monday to build an ultra-modern, luxury version of the doomed ocean liner in China.

Palmer, one of the richest people in Australia with an estimated worth of more than $5 billion, said he had commissioned a state-owned Chinese company to construct Titanic II with the exact dimensions as the ill-fated original.

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," Palmer said, according to AFP.

He said Titanic II would make its maiden voyage from England to New York in late 2016.

The news comes just two weeks after the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic, which hit an iceberg on its first voyage across the Atlantic on April 15, 1912, sending 1,500 people to their deaths.

"Titanic II will be the ultimate in comfort and luxury with on-board gymnasiums and swimming pools, libraries, high class restaurants and luxury cabins," Palmer said.

The cost of the new ship was not disclosed.

Palmer announced his Titanic plans the same day he revealed he would make a run for Australia's Parliament.

Palmer said he would seek the conservative opposition's candidacy for the seat currently held by Deputy Prime Minister Wayne Swan.

"Politics is about ideas," the billionaire told reporters. "You are not going to become rich being a politician."

Well ok. I think there are better ways to spend your money.

#2 Ego

Ego

Super-Psychic

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • 3DS:3652-1929-9711
  • Steam:hornheado
  • XBox Live:hornheado

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

It sounds like...I dunno, bad luck to name a ship after one that sunk on its maiden voyage. Not to mention in poor taste toward the folks who lost their lives there. I mean, using the name is really just a ploy to charge even higher prices for passage thanks to the fame of it.

Still, it'll probably be a pretty cool ship when it's all done.

#3 FISSURE

FISSURE

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • PSN:fissure100
  • XBox Live:fissure100

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

The Asylum made a move about this.

It didn't end well

#4 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

When I saw the topic title I thought you were talking about a sequel to the movie. Glad to see it's even more obnoxious and insane.

#5 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, this is a stupid idea. Even though I don't really mind more ships, price gouging travellers just because of the name isn't right at all, and I think it's a really poor decision. I'd expect something like that out of Capcom.

#6 FISSURE

FISSURE

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

"It will be every bit as luxurious as the original Titanic but of course it will have state-of-the-art 21st century technology and the latest navigation and safety systems," Palmer said, according to AFP.

This is pretty much what they said about the 1st titanic >.>

When I saw the topic title I thought you were talking about a sequel to the movie. Glad to see it's even more obnoxious and insane.

There actually is a sequel to the movie Technically, the company Asylum that loves ripping off other movies made Titanic 2, which was pretty much about a 2nd titanic ship.

#7 Robo

Robo

Teiou no Neko

• Histories Greatest Monster
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Ah. I see now you already posted about that before me, sorry about that. Had no idea Asylum was a movie company so I thought you were talking about the Asylum/Spam forum. XD

I had no idea there was a Titanic II movie though...which, thinking about it, is probably for the best.

#8 FISSURE

FISSURE

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Ah. I see now you already posted about that before me, sorry about that. Had no idea Asylum was a movie company so I thought you were talking about the Asylum/Spam forum. XD

I had no idea there was a Titanic II movie though...which, thinking about it, is probably for the best.

XD yeah, not many people really pay attention to them since they make movies based off other movies, but with worse acting and effects and such.

They made a Thor movie around the time Thor came out called Almighty Thor or something, there was a terminator type movie, a movie like transformers.

http://www.imdb.com/company/co0043571/

That's their great list of movies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users