Social Justice Cleric

• Monster Coach
  • 9,264 posts
  • 3DS:3007-8091-3997
  • NINID:HJWeasel
  • Steam:HJWeasel

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:49 AM

http://www.siliconer...sell-in-a-year/

Nintendo’s hit flagship games all have one thing in common: Yes, they start out with a bang, but they also continue to sell and sell and sell for years.

The Pokémon games all follow this trend, too, and given how important software profits are, amidst Nintendo’s ongoing hardware losses on the 3DS, we thought it would be interesting to see how much the existing Pokémon RPGs sold worldwide between March 31st 2011 and March 31st, 2012.

Take a look at the chart below:

Year Title March 2011 March 2012 Increase
2007 Pokémon Diamond/Pearl 17.57 million 17.61 million +40,000
2009 Pokémon Platinum 7.43 million Unknown Unknown
2010 Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver 11.90 million 12.40 million +500,000
2011 Pokémon Black/White 11.51 million 14.71 million +3.2 million

Diamond/Pearl were the very first pair of Pokémon RPGs for the Nintendo DS, and so, naturally, they’ve sold the most number of copies to date. That having been said, despite the new games that followed, 40,000 people around the world still bought Diamond/Pearl in the last 12 months.

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver, remakes of the original Gold/Silver titles, saw a much bigger increase. Half a million people picked those games up, pushing them to nearly 12.5 million units. At this rate, it’s a given they’ll cross the 12.5 million mark this year. I wonder how much closer they’ll be to 13 million by next year?

Finally, Pokémon Black/White, the most recent games in the series, released in 2010 in Japan, March 2011 in the west, and April 2011 in Korea, sold another 3.2 million copies worldwide. Will the upcoming release of Black/White 2 give a boost to Black/White as new players that want both the originals and the sequels pick them both up? Or will Black/White 2 hurt Black/White’s sales instead? Questions, questions.

So, overall, Nintendo sold 3.74 million copies of mainline Pokémon RPGs in the last 12 months. And these numbers don’t include ongoing sales of Pokémon Platinum, or of spin-off titles such as Pokémon Rumble Blast or Pokémon Conquest in Japan.

Sales figures courtesy Nintendo.

Good!

#2 Haku

Haku

If there were to be two omniscience's, I would be both!

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • 3DS:0087-2309-5973
  • PSN:SomaCruz89
  • Steam:SomaCruz89
  • XBox Live:RoboFrogMage

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Not good. It's evil, evil Pokecrack! (Rant ahead) I'm pretty much done with the game series. I have several friends who still play the games obsessively, and that's OK. But for me, I need some evolution (pun intended) of style and gameplay from game-to-game. The Pokémon games of today are exactly the same as Red/Blue, with some minor tweaks tacked on. It's a really dated system that uses the same "gym/Team Crapface/legendary Pokémon" story to pull you along. For the first couple of times, it's OK. However, I'm really tired to the predictability. The games still sell because it's kid friendly, lots of people get addicted to the collecting aspect, and others love competitive play, breeding and making a beastly team. However, I'm completely tired of all those aspects.

I really wish they would reimagine the battle system, the way the story is presented, and for the love of God, put some more thought into designing and balancing the Pokémon. However, since they can sell million of copies by rehashing the same game over and over, I seriously doubt Game Freak is going to change their ways. Since, you know, people love making easy money.

#3 Albert Wesker

Albert Wesker
  • Members
  • -2,487 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

I kinda agree with Haku, I hate to say it, but I kinda lost interest after HG/SS, which I mainly picked up for notalgia anyway. Platinum was kinda fun, but then it got boring to me...I dunno, I think I'm tired of the same old formula every time.

#4 Linkmaster30000

Linkmaster30000

Your Hero, Even if You Don't Know it Yet

• Bohemian Mafia
  • 7,196 posts
  • 3DS:5370-0513-1062
  • NINID:Linkmaster30000
  • PSN:LM30K
  • XBox Live:Linkmaster30000

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

I kinda lost my drive during Black. I'll still get Black 2, just to see what it's like, but I doubt I'll get both versions again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users